New here...

capitalist

New Metal Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hey, stumbled upon this board from the SA website (go figure, eh?). And a good thing I did too. I would rate ASU and Cynic's "Focus" in my top 20 albums that I own and always had wanted to find more albums like them. Well, I've spent the last two hours combing this forum and I have more than 15 new ideas. I'm excited. In retrospect, it seems that people always suggested progressive metal albums to me, which often are less than exciting. (In passing, I should mention the excellent post by Tom C about technical vs. progressive metal. It's right on the money and probably took a long time to conceptualize and then type. Thanks for doing that.)

In general, I dropped out of the forum/mailing list thing about 8 years, having realized it's usually a huge waste of time dominated by senseless disputes. But, hey, sometimes it's not--I would like thank everyone who participated in suggesting technical metal bands. Also, a big thanks to the members of SA who regularly post their insights about the band and scene on the board. It's made for very interesting reading.

So, I didn't see (m)any mentions of Pain of Salvation. What do people here think of them, besides the fact that PoS is certainly an unintentional hilarious acronym?

Anxiously awaiting the new SA album, whenever it may come into existence.
b

Reactions: progmetaldan
welcome capitalist.

To be honest I find POS very underwhelming. I have given the perfect element 3 years to grow on me and nothing has clicked yet. I bought it on the suggestion of many great reviews but it didn't live up to the hype, IMHO. I respect Daniel Gildenlow I think he is great at what he does but it just doesn't really appeal to me.