Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theory in Practice - Colonizing The Sun

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dark Lord

Reincarnation of Yourself
Nov 4, 2005
Beirut, Lebanon
Well it's not fair to actually include "A Sceptic's Universe" on this list because this is a Spiral Architect forum... and obviously, most votes will go to their album... thus, here is a poll about a list of the best Technical Prog Albums out there... make your pick people... my vote goes to Cynic's Focus :worship:

Dark Lord said:
Well it's not fair to actually include "A Sceptic's Universe" on this list because this is a Spiral Architect forum... and obviously, most votes will go to their album... thus, here is a poll about a list of the best Technical Prog Albums out there... make your pick people... my vote goes to Cynic's Focus :worship:

yeah... Cynic is the band out of those you mention here, but you forgot other bands like "Aghora", "Atheist" Etc...

Tough shit.

I'll pick Focus for its historical influence on the genre. But Zero Hour's The Towers of Avarice and Gordian Knot's self-titled are equally amazing.

I would have included some "other" (more obscure but still kick-ass bands) on that poll though.

yeah... you're probably right guys.... there are alot of other bands and great albums that could have been put there... but then the list would be too long... so i only put the albums that I know too well cause i really haven't heard any "Aghora", "Atheist", or Sieges Even's "Steps"... Unfortunately:erk: so i wouldn't know what to expect... + the fact is, I could have added alot of other albums like Gordian Knot's "Emergent" or Zero Hour's "Metamorphosis" or Theory in Practice's "Third Eye Function" or "The Armageddeon Theories" or Spastic Ink's "Ink Compatible" or even Watchtower's "Energetic Disassembly"... you get where i'm heading at here... but i only chose what i thought was best album from each band and i put it there :)
I could have also added other technical bands i heard of but haven't actually heard their material yet. like Gardenwall's "Forget the Colors" or another band called Dillinger Escape Plan...if i'm not mistaken!!
...well i can't honestly say much about Linear Sphere either, but i did hear all the samples on their site... and i can't say i was really that much impressed.
Now another band i was actually thinking of adding on this list was Liquid Tension Experiment... but i wasn't really sure if i can consider it under this genre... but the fact is they play rough progressive and they do tend to get technical at most times... i mean LTE is way more technical than Gordian Knot!!! i honestly prefer LTE 2 to the first one eventhough the first one has the masterpiece "Universal Mind" :headbang:

finally, just a comment for all who picked Spastic Ink's "Ink Complete"... it is a really good album... but the problem is.. after a couple of listens, especially to the longer songs like "Mosquito Brain Surgery" and "the Mad DAta Race", I just really can't stand listening to the album too much longer... the shit they're playing starts getting on my nerves... especially "that 178 thing", and it's not because it's highly technical... it's cause they keep on playing and stopping and playing and stopping in every song... moving from one 3 second riff to another 2 second solo... i mean... no time to actually enjoy the music... like one reviewer once said in a review about these guys: they have to stop their infernal cadence every couple of seconds or they're going to splinter some of ours and their arteries & veins!!! though i must admit that i was really impressed by "Just a Little Dirty", "To Counter & Groove in E minor" and "A morning with Squeekie".

I voted for Focus mostly because I'm most familiar with it. The whole style of it is incredibly innovative and influential for today and I love the ambiences and such.

I think by far though, spastic ink is the most impressive

I just heard all of Atheist's "Unquestionable Presence" and a few songs from the other 2 albums: "Piece of Time" and "Elements".... now they're pretty good... but the fact is, they can't be actually added on this poll as Mr. Shadow X requested because eventhough they can be technical at times, their music is actually classified as Thash Death Metal according to what i heard... so i don't think they'd really fit into the above category: Technical Progressive.... technical is the key word here ofcourse... well that's just my opinion.

Theres quite a few albums missing from the list. A few of the bands listed i prefer some of there other offerings. Other the one's listed such as spastic ink - ink compatible and theory in practice - armageddon theories and as mentioned where's atheist?!

For those of you who havent heard theory in practice i suggest purchasing one of there albums, you wont be disappointed! Here are some sound clips
http://hem.passagen.se/theory/tip_sounds.html

Personally out of that though, i voted for cynic focus such a classic :)

Dark Lord said:
DAMN!!! these guys are TECHNICAL INCARNATE !!!! really excellent music..... I listened to Stabwound and Seven from their new album "Epitaph". But the vocals... well i can't say that's my preferred kind of vocals:erk: .... But the music !!!! :headbang:

Hehe i hope you can overcome the vocals! Muhammed Suicmez is insane! How he plays those guitar parts while doing the vocals is mind boggling! And a great approach with the arpeggio formations.

Metis said:
Hehe i hope you can overcome the vocals! Muhammed Suicmez is insane! How he plays those guitar parts while doing the vocals is mind boggling! And a great approach with the arpeggio formations.

yeah i totally agree man... I will defintely keep the name, Muhammed Suicmez, in my mind. He's definately a force to be reckoned with, musically ofcourse.... kind of like Peter Lake of "Theory in Practice"... and yes, you're right, those guitar arpeggio sections are almost unparalleled by any other, almost !!! As for the vocals... well they kind of remind me of "Dying Fetus" vocals, but a little less throaty... and i really hate "Dying Fetus" vocals... but with time, i will get used to their vocals... i hope :)