Greatest technical albums of all time

Maelstrom

Metal is the Law!
Jan 27, 2002
Adelaide
www.theharrowed.com
Okay, everyone list your top five musician's textbooks. In other words, the five albums you think every musician who wants to be technical should have. Mine are

1. Cynic - Focus ( The Ultimate Technical album ):D
2. Watchtower - Control and Resistance :eek:
3. Death - Individual Thought Patterns (Mindspinning):rolleyes:
4. Theory In Practice - The Armageddon Theories (the most technical, yet musical cd I've ever heard) :headbang:
5. Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe :yow:

Ladies and Gentlemen, lay out your cards.

1. Death- Individual Thought Patterns
2.Dillinger Escape Plan- Calculating Infinity
3.Cryptopsy- None So Vile
4. Meshuggah- Destroy-Erase-Improve
5. Automation-My Gutter Child

I'm not a musician in any way at all,but i like these cd's so shutup.

Some of the highlight album's of bands careers have been the more technical ones. I think Megadeth's Rust In Peace would be one of their high points, and while they are not a "Technical" band in the traditional sense of the word, I think the songs on that album are the hardest to play. Not many people out there that can play and sing "Holy Wars" at the same time!!

I think Cynic are a band that combine technicality with interesting compositions. They are one of the most renown bands that I mentioned in my list above and I think they've inspired a huge number of bands.

The whole progressive genre can be an interesting style, but I find most of those bands are the ones guilty of making the uninteresting technical albums.

Well apart from the one you guys have mentioned some of my fav tech albums include:

Cryptopsy-"And then you'll beg"
Angelcorpse- "The inexorable"
Theory in practice- "The armageddon theories"
Theory in practice-"Colonizing the sun"
Martyr-"Warp Zone"- You have to check these guys out if u dig cynic meshuggah-A MUST!!!!!!!
Martyr-"Hopeless hopes"
Meshuggah'Contridations collapse/none- So ahead of its time when released
Dying fetus-"Destroy the opposition
Quo vadis-"Day into night"
The Forsaken-"Arts of desolation"

New alarum album???...Dont know what its called yet, But its goin to be out in the next few months. Their new songs they have inproved %100, they are like cynic reborn!!! AMAZING STUFF!

Originally posted by BeyondtheUnholyGrave
Lord Tim...try either Human or Individual Thought Patterns by Death. Both highly technical and GUARANTEED not to put you to sleep.

Nah, those are both awesome albums - I totally agree! :)

But what I'm against is technical albums for technique's sake. I'm not a big fan of really progressive, technical stuff because it's just really soulless (well, it feels that way to me anyway - I'm sure the guys doing it really dig it).

Colonizing the Sun! You bastard, I've been trying to get that in Adelaide since it came out and no one even knows who I'm talking about!!

As for Alarum, I'd have to say that they're the most underrated band in Australia. I've already mentioned before that along with Chris from Portals (Qld), Nathan from Crypt, the Infernal Method and Dungeon guys, the Alarum guitarist are probably among some of the best metal guitarists in the country.

We played a show with them in Melbourne last year and I was mega impressed, which is a rare thing for me. Especially when it comes to other guitarists, not out of ego, their just isn't many guitarist that play solos in Adelaide.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Colonizing the Sun! You bastard, I've been trying to get that in Adelaide since it came out and no one even knows who I'm talking about!!
I have that album, just order it online...it is amazing!!

Plus I agree with the guy who recommended Martyr :headbang: