Your Top 10 Greatest Rock Albums of All Time!

Acujer

Apr 14, 2008
What do you consider the ultimate rock albums of all time? This is not necessarily your favorite, but the best. Something that came out of almost a stroke of genius and can never be repeated again in that way. Maybe it has to do with the time it came out. These are your top 10 BEST. I found it impossible to put these in order. Its just a list of my 10 best in no particular order. I think everyone into rock music should at least be somewhat familiar with the albums below.

Here's mine:

1) The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

2) Pink Floyd- The Wall

3) Alice Cooper- Welcome to My Nightmare (If you haven't listened to this all the way through before, you really should. It's genius!)

4) Meat Loaf- Bat Out of Hell

5) Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast

6) Bruce Springsteen- Born To Run

7) Yes- Tales From Topographic Oceans

8) Genesis- Foxtrot

9) Radiohead- OK Computer

10) Jethro Tull- Thick as a Brick

1. Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
2 Led Zeppelin: IV
3. Metallica: Master of Puppets
4. Slayer: Reign in Blood
5. Ozzy Osbourne : Blizzard of Ozz
6. Iron Maiden : Number of the Beast
7. Megadeth : Rust in Peace
8. Metallica : Kill 'Em All
9. Iron Maiden :piece of Mind
10. Metallica : Ride the Lightning
11. Testament : Practice What You Preach
12. Armored Saint: March of the Saint
13. Iron Maiden : Powerslave
14. Anthrax : Among the Living
15. Sepultura :Beneath The Remains

Does it have to be just 10? Here's my initial list, then:

1. Queen - A Night at the Opera
2. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
3. AC/DC - Back in Black
4. Def Leppard - Hysteria
5. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
6. Judas Priest - British Steel
7. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
8. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
9. Queen - Innuendo
10. Judas Priest - Painkiller

In no particular order
Judas Priest - British Steel
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Van Halen - I & II
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Aerosmith - Live Bootleg
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Bad Ass Album Cover Art as well!)
Led Zep - Houses of the Holy
Iron Maiden - Killers
Pink Floyd - Animals
Return to Forever - All of them!
The Iron Maidens - Rt. 666

I don't think a Live Disk counts. This is about top 10 albums of most relevance or better said as "BEST". Not your favorite. My favorite list is very different. This is about landmarks, but better yet, very well crafted landmarks. Favorite is the albums you enjoy the most.

If it went to 11 I would throw in The Who Quadrophenia.

A7 your list is very interesting. Queen, Def Leppard and even Guns N Posers. How did you come up with Hysteria as one of the greatest albums of all time?

A7 your list is very interesting. Queen, Def Leppard and even Guns N Posers. How did you come up with Hysteria as one of the greatest albums of all time?

I'll admit I never listened to the full album of Hysteria, but I could see it being ranked by a fan. It was their big break through album, had great production and sound, and was (sadly) the top of the game IMO for Def Lep.

Live albums don't count?! How about Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive" and Cheap Trick's "Live at Budakon"? Both monster albums that launched the respective artists to superstardom and introduced the world to their unique styles of music. Did they even have any other records? You weren't a kid in the 70's if you didn't have both.

Wait, aren't you talking about Def Leppard's Pyromania not Hysteria? I remember when Pyromania came out.

Live albums don't count because they are not the albums, but live versions of songs on other albums.

This also doesn't have to do with record sales. If that were so, Thriller would be on there. This is just the highest quality made rock albums ever.

1. Dream Theater, Images and words
2. Black Sabbath, Heaven and hell
3. Iron Maiden, NOTB
4. Dream Theater, Octavarium
5. Thin Lizzy, Live and dangerous.
6. Styx, Grand Illusion
7. Iron Maiden, Piece of mind
8. Pink Floyd, Dark side of the moon
9. Pink Floyd, Meddle
10. Queensryche, Warning

Anything by Dream Theater or Pink Floyd (except Sid Barret era stuff)

How about Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive" and Cheap Trick's "Live at Budakon"? Did they even have any other records?

That's so true. I don't remember ever hearing or seeing another Peter Frampton album. Haha That's hilarious! I remember when I was younger buying used records and every other record in the bin was Frampton Comes Alive. No wonder he is making Geiko commercials now.

And from what I read, Dio can write where Ozzy can't.

There is this guy that claims he wrote Diary of a Madman and another one, I think Blizzard of Oz, but Ozzy refused to credit him. This guy claims he continually sues him. Supposedly he didn't write shit for Sabbath either. This guy is Bob Daisley. Dio is actual quality musicianship.

Heres from Wikipedia but you can read more on Bob Daisley's website.

"The following year in 1978 he was recruited by Ozzy Osbourne to join that singer's new band, originally called Blizzard of Ozz, however when the album was actually released, it was credited to Osbourne alone and Blizzard of Ozz became merely the title of the album.[1] Daisley contributed bass and backing vocals as well as songwriting on eight of the nine tracks. He also played and wrote much of the material on the follow-up album Diary of a Madman but both he and drummer Lee Kerslake were fired before the album was released and Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge appeared in their place in the artwork and credits of that album's original pressing."

Fuck Ozzy and Fuck Sharon and Fuck all their retarded kids!

Live albums don't count?! How about Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive" and Cheap Trick's "Live at Budakon"? Both monster albums that launched the respective artists to superstardom and introduced the world to their unique styles of music. Did they even have any other records? You weren't a kid in the 70's if you didn't have both.

Hey now, don't forget One More From The Road :)

My turn to chime in...

1. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
2. Rush - Hemispheres
3. Queen - News of the World
4. The Who - Quadrophenia
5. Rush - Moving Pictures
6. Dream Theater - Images and Words
7. Metallica - Master of Puppets
8. Rush - Signals
9. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
10. AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Honorable Mention for Elton John's "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" which would've made my list but doesn't seem to gibe with the genre everyone else is going for.

"6. Dream Theater - Images and Words"

Second time this was mentioned. Looks like I got to hear this album.

I saw them open up for YES and didn't think they held their own next to YES. I like Mike Portnoy. He also playe for Neal Morse which is from Spocks Beard.

Neal Morse is Christian Progressive rock with Mike Portnoy on drums. I never thought I'd listen to anything religious, but his shit rocks and I like it and the drums rule!

I'm getting Images and Words today and I'll give u a review later.