Any albums released since 2000 in your "top 10 of all time" list?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Tying in with the upcoming March Madness tournament....

Simply put, are there any albums released since 2000 that would now make your top 10 list of all time? Albums that you think 'incomparable'.

I'll give you 2 examples for me:

Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
Orphaned Land - Mabool

I've pretty much lived, breathed, and digested these albums inside out. I've read about them, written about them, and importantly, SEEN THE BANDS PERFORM THIS MATERIAL LIVE!! I admit, seeing the concerts grew these albums from "exceptional" to "best album of all time" material.

Wow, 20% of my top 10 favorite albums from this decade alone?! And the decade's not even over yet.

By the way, sometimes simple nostalgia and sentimental value helps decide which album you personally like the most, but it doesn't always equate to the album's greatness, if you know what I mean....

Not really. The only one that comes close is Spiritual Beggars - "Ad Astra" but it doesn't make it to the top 10, top 20.... maybe. The most recent album in my top 10 favourite list is "Dreaming Neon Black" - 1999.

First thought was Hammers for me as well on this one. Toss up between the first two, but as for staying power I'd lean towards The August Engine also.

Other than that, Colour Haze - Colour Haze is one I'd stand by.

Possibly Boris - Flood (see reco I posted an hour or two ago!)

The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Warning - Watching From a Distance (I'm assuming it will)
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy (does this count because it was written in the early 80's?)

I doubt any would be in the top 10, but Warning and Pagan Altar (maybe Reverend Bizarre or Hail) would be the top contenders.

Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Elend - Winds Devouring Men
Sigur Rós - ( )
Canaan - A Calling to Weakness
Empyrium - Weiland
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift your...
In The Woods... - Omnio
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Elend - Winds Devouring Men
Sigur Rós - ( )
Canaan - A Calling to Weakness
Empyrium - Weiland
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift your...
In The Woods... - Omnio
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Woah. 8 albums released in the last 6.25 years in your top 10 of all time?

And I thought 2 was a lot!

Not really. The only one that comes close is Spiritual Beggars - "Ad Astra" but it doesn't make it to the top 10, top 20.... maybe. The most recent album in my top 10 favourite list is "Dreaming Neon Black" - 1999.

When you think of your top 10/20 list of all time, how many albums would you include that came out before your time? Or just stuff you didn't get round to until years later.

When I think about my top 10 list of all time, I'm fairly certain that I was present for each release, around the time period it originally came out, for example, Operation Mindcrime.

EDIT: I'm not even sure if I have a definitive all time list, but off the top of my head, I'm pretty confident this rule would apply. In other words, I don't have anything pre-1984 (when I started listening) that would make the list I don't think. Go figure.

Maybe its because I'm a youngin (if 19 years minus 11 days is young, I assume you all are ancient), but it seems the majority of the albums I listen to have been released in the last seven years.

Maybe its because I'm a youngin (if 19 years minus 11 days is young, I assume you all are ancient), but it seems the majority of the albums I listen to have been released in the last seven years.

Fair enough.

Like I said 2 posts ago, I wonder if this is a pattern? How many folks in general would list stuff that came out 'before their time'? Hmm..

I'm pretty sure at least 90% of my list would be things well before "my time," that being when I started actively listening to Metal in 1997. If not 100%.

Not to mention, the 80's and early 90's produced an ENORMOUS amounts of ridiculously inspired metal that is near impossible to touch.

edit: this is really all besides the point here. wtf