Hey man check these out :)

Drudkh: Blood In Our Wells, The Swan Road
MGLA: Presence (EP)
Crushing The Holy Trinity (compilation)
Dark Fortress: Seance
Keep of Kalessin: Armada
Tåke: Hordaland Doedskvad
Xasthur: To Violate the Oblivious

I second Keep of Kalessin, fucking good album that. Also check out Kampfar, "Kvass" since you like Enslaved.

Stormwatch said:
I second Keep of Kalessin, fucking good album that. Also check out Kampfar, "Kvass" since you like Enslaved.

Armada was a damn surprise. I only heard it a few times before knowing it was going to have to be bought. What a magical album, excellent. Four vocal styles used if you listen carefully!

A friend of mine was talking up Kampfar for ages to me actually. I didnt know much about them, but as soon as I heard the name something told me I was going to react strangely to them.

I got hold of Kvass, and to be honest, I found it to be unoriginal and boring.

Its intentions are good, the style itself isnt bad. Its just the execution. I love mid/slow paced Black Metal, but Kvass is just... lifeless. Its like the band are coming down from Valium during the recording.

I will say though: the beginning of Lyktemenn is good, and the song is good too. I just find the album after this gets boring. Its like they havent explored their own style properly or something.

The Hubster said:
Armada was a damn surprise. I only heard it a few times before knowing it was going to have to be bought. What a magical album, excellent. Four vocal styles used if you listen carefully!

A friend of mine was talking up Kampfar for ages to me actually. I didnt know much about them, but as soon as I heard the name something told me I was going to react strangely to them.

I got hold of Kvass, and to be honest, I found it to be unoriginal and boring.

Its intentions are good, the style itself isnt bad. Its just the execution. I love mid/slow paced Black Metal, but Kvass is just... lifeless. Its like the band are coming down from Valium during the recording.

I will say though: the beginning of Lyktemenn is good, and the song is good too. I just find the album after this gets boring. Its like they havent explored their own style properly or something.

Each to their own, Kvass didnt get fantastic reviews in the metal mags either. I just found it by chance, gave it a listen and really enjoyed it. I'm not a massive fan of badly produced "classic" BM like Mayhem (I like the songs, just not the shitty sound), but I really like Kvass I honestly believe it's up there with latter day Enslaved.

Yeah thats fair enough.

The badly produced thing takes time to appreciate. Initially many years back I used to be a lover of Maiden, Megadeth, Testament and others.

These days Ive really become attached to Black Metal, so I've got used to the production over a long period of time. I find it actually aids to complete the music, but that also depends on the way the music is structured. eg try to imagine Xasthur with production standards of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and it would be awful.

Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Burzum - DetSomEngangVar
Immortal - Blizzard Beasts
...the rest doesn't matter

Stormwatch said:
(I like the songs, just not the shitty sound)

roomy, organic production does not = shitty sound.

it's not like they just plugged in a mic and recorded whatever and said "yeah that'll do". it's intentional.

most "well produced" metal bands these days are not. completely fucking digital crap is awful. sounds like pro tools took a shit.

@ Hubster, Stormwatch, VadimVon, evil miscreant - Thank you :)

I got my hands on Drudkh's Blood in our wells. Its quite good. I'll make sure I give the others a try in the coming weeks. Thanks again.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Enslaved - Vikinglir Veldi
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Lunar Aurora - Weltenganger
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Sorhin - Apokalypsens Angel
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun