Any albums released since 2000 in your "top 10 of all time" list?

Blood in our wells has grown on me so much, especially the last 2 songs on the album (Eternity and Ukrainian Insurgent Army). I just don't think I've spent enough time with it yet to call it one of my favorite albums. It is, however, my top album of 2006.

In my reckoning: Forgotten Legends > Blood In Our Wells > Autumn Aurora > The Swan Road > Songs Of Grief And Solitude

To me, Forgotten Legends is just another Hate Forest album...

Not that I don't like it, I love it, but it's my least favorite in terms of Drudkh albums.

To me, Forgotten Legends is just another Hate Forest album...

how so?

I couldn't say i have a personal favourite, although it would be out of Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora or Blood In Our Wells though. Depends on my mood and the situtation. For example AA can calm me down and make me feel better no matter how bad of a mood i am in.

EDIT: Holy 2,000th post batman.

how so?

I couldn't say i have a personal favourite, although it would be out of Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora or Blood In Our Wells though. Depends on my mood and the situtation. For example AA can calm me down and make me feel better no matter how bad of a mood i am in.

EDIT: Holy 2,000th post batman.

Its just the feeling I have when listening to it... the style of it just feels so a lot like Purity to me, with less 'harsh' of vocals. I'm sure this opinion isn't shared with a lot of people, its more of just a personal thing.

so its like purity but without the blast beats, harsh vox and overall aggressiveness? :zombie:

Just without the harsh vox... the blast beats aren't predominate, but a few are there. And I find Forgotten Legends to be a pretty aggressive sounding album.

Call me weird, but it's just my opinion.

I still fucking love the album, no matter how I, or others, view it.

but perhaps even objectively speaking, the stuff that us oldies grew up with truly is the most creative and excellent metal!!!

Yeah, maybe. I always thought that it would be extremely self-centered to believe that ("MY music is the BEST music"), but hey, who am I to argue with the evidence?

Then again, it seems like some of these guys skew even older (in terms of what they listen to) than I do, so who knows? For "metal", I mostly think mid- to late-90s was the sweet spot, and can even come up with a bit of a logical explanation: that was the period in which metal was "deadest" and most out of the view of the mainstream, so the only people making metal in those days were the ones who really really wanted to. There was no money to be had, so they did it only because their inner artist forced them to get their music out there. The incentives ($, babes) to compromise their art were much less than they were before and after. And the number of releases was tiny compared to today, so it was a lot easier for those artists to stand out as originals.

And it makes sense that this board, which isn't tied to a particular band, or even sub-genre, would attract people who place a premium on originality. Not sure if it's reflective of the entire metal-listening world though.

Neil

For "metal", I mostly think mid- to late-90s was the sweet spot, and can even come up with a bit of a logical explanation: that was the period in which metal was "deadest" and most out of the view of the mainstream, so the only people making metal in those days were the ones who really really wanted to.
That would be early 90s - mid 90s, not mid 90s - late 90s, if there was such a period, which i doubt it.

skyrefuge said:
There was no money to be had, so they did it only because their inner artist forced them to get their music out there. The incentives ($, babes) to compromise their art were much less than they were before and after. And the number of releases was tiny compared to today, so it was a lot easier for those artists to stand out as originals.
Why is it that everyone thinks that when a rock/metal musician makes music without caring about money/being in a huge company, then he produces his finest works and only then is really uncompromised, while rock/metal history shows a completely different thing most of the times.

While I see your argument, skyrefuge, I think the argument for the 80s is clearly stronger in that that was the time period where all of this music first developed. I mean, the 80s didn't really even have "genres," at least as we know it today, so even those boundaries on creativity didn't exist. I definitely think the 80s were the most creative period for Metal.