New HIM

as much as i do like the early HIM albums (i do), most often when i get the urge to listen to them, i just end up listening to sentenced instead..
same genre, but much better.

I do like a couple of songs of TBP but the way their whole image changed for the album was stupid.

And yes, Sentenced > H.I.M.

as much as i do like the early HIM albums (i do), most often when i get the urge to listen to them, i just end up listening to sentenced instead..
same genre, but much better.

They are similar in some ways, but I thought Sentenced was much better, especially Down and Amok.

I think that Dark Light is the weakest album. I´m in love with GLS vol. 666 but this new stuff sounds a little bit boring. I´m interested to see what´s happen to Ville! o_O

Hey alco you hear any of the new HIM yet?

The new single kiss of down and venus doom sound terrible...poorly written songs that aren't even catchy. Dead lovers sounds pretty legit though. It's gonna be their worst cd yet from the sound of things. Waiting to hear the rest.

**first of all, don't listen to the haters here...HIM is definitely a fine, talented band**
Yeah, I've been listening to "Passions Killing Floor" for quite some time now and man was it disappointing to me. I mean, I thought I was listening to a remix of Wings of a Butterfly haha - and that just pissed me off. But I gave it some time, and well...the tune kinda grew on me and it's OK, but it still annoys me that it sounds way familiar.
Also, I agree with you - it sounds like it's going to be their worst album. In fact, I shouldn't say it like that. More like...the band's FIRST disappointing album and the FIRST album showing no sign of inspiration.

I haven't checked out the songs you have mentioned but will do so immediately - first chance I get. But from your opinion (and I'm basing this on our similar music tastes) it seems it's nothing to get excited over. Such a shame, as Venus Doom was supposed to be my album of the year (I guess they're slowly going downhill now).

Now Sentenced to me can't even begin to compare to HIM. They have that catchy vibe to them as well, but it seems like many of their songs just don't quite manage to live up to the amazing standards of Valo's. Valo has one of this generation's greatest voices. I consider him to be like the next David Bowie in a way.

And for those who try to knock HIM down, I guess you made up your minds before even giving the band a real chance. Hey, I know what it's like as I was in the same boat. But then when I heard a song somewhere playing in the background, I was drawn in to their sound. Ever since, I was a fan.

It's All Tears
For You
Join Me
I Love You
Funeral of Hearts
...just a few here.

I just don't get how songs like these can garner so much hate. Its gotta be the band's image....seriously.

Woops, wrote too much again. Oh well, I don't post here often anyway haha.

**first of all, don't listen to the haters here...HIM is definitely a fine, talented band**
Yeah, I've been listening to "Passions Killing Floor" for quite some time now and man was it disappointing to me. I mean, I thought I was listening to a remix of Wings of a Butterfly haha - and that just pissed me off. But I gave it some time, and well...the tune kinda grew on me and it's OK, but it still annoys me that it sounds way familiar.
Also, I agree with you - it sounds like it's going to be their worst album. In fact, I shouldn't say it like that. More like...the band's FIRST disappointing album and the FIRST album showing no sign of inspiration.

I haven't checked out the songs you have mentioned but will do so immediately - first chance I get. But from your opinion (and I'm basing this on our similar music tastes) it seems it's nothing to get excited over. Such a shame, as Venus Doom was supposed to be my album of the year (I guess they're slowly going downhill now).

Now Sentenced to me can't even begin to compare to HIM. They have that catchy vibe to them as well, but it seems like many of their songs just don't quite manage to live up to the amazing standards of Valo's. Valo has one of this generation's greatest voices. I consider him to be like the next David Bowie in a way.

And for those who try to knock HIM down, I guess you made up your minds before even giving the band a real chance. Hey, I know what it's like as I was in the same boat. But then when I heard a song somewhere playing in the background, I was drawn in to their sound. Ever since, I was a fan.

It's All Tears
For You
Join Me
I Love You
Funeral of Hearts
...just a few here.

I just don't get how songs like these can garner so much hate. Its gotta be the band's image....seriously.

Woops, wrote too much again. Oh well, I don't post here often anyway haha.

Well put. :)

Altough I think that Venus Doom will be good too. I definetly like the guitar sound on Kiss of Dawn and Passion's Killing Floor and Ville indeed is one of the best singers around. If not the best. He has a really versatile voice, just check out something like For You from Uneasy Listening Vol.1 :)

Alcapoth: I agree with you, for the most part. I've already heard most of Venus Doom. A couple of songs were decent (Kiss Of Dawn, Dead Lovers Lane), and one of them was outstanding (Passion's Killing Floor), but I have to say that it seems like this will be the first HIM record I'm genuinely disappointed about; I hate to say it, but this album sounds really uninspired. I still plan on buying it though, since I love Passion's Killing Floor.

A HIM thread!

While I accept that 'Dark Light' was more or less a grave disappointment, and that the previous two weren't much better (ok, so 'Love Metal' had its moments...), I'm certainly not looking forward to their next foray into holywood.

Having said all this, the first two albums 'Greatest Lovesongs Vol 666' and 'Razorblade Romance' are brilliant albums. In fact, I'd rate 'RR' as one of my favourite albums of all time (along with another 20 or so).

The problem began with record label pressure due to growing popularity. It looks like the cash is too much to refuse, so it's basically goodbye HIM. And hello Rainshadow.

Ok, I'm seriously going to stop plugging this now... hahaha.

HIM is a great band, and very consistent as well. They're one of the few bands that I can honestly say I enjoy all their work equally. I think the new one sounds great, and I especially like the slower doom passages they've thrown in.

HIM is a great band, and very consistent as well. They're one of the few bands that I can honestly say I enjoy all their work equally. I think the new one sounds great, and I especially like the slower doom passages they've thrown in.

Woahhh...your statement here I can agree with 100% And I LOVE Dark Light but the new one...well, we'll see when it comes out. I reserve my judgement until it totally sinks in.

Well put. :)

Altough I think that Venus Doom will be good too. I definetly like the guitar sound on Kiss of Dawn and Passion's Killing Floor and Ville indeed is one of the best singers around. If not the best. He has a really versatile voice, just check out something like For You from Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Hey dude, thanks. And man, I'm so glad you mentioned that version of For You - brilliant song in all its acoustic, soothing beauty. But I think I prefer the It's All Tears acoustic version to that song. Amazing stuff. I own both vol. 1 and 2 and think 1 is just slightly better overall.

M3: Yeah, I know...my initial impressions of Venus Doom are not that good at the moment.

But all you guys DON'T think that Passion's Killing Floor sounds even slightly like Wings of a Butterfly. See? It is a good track, but he just rearranges similar tunes to change it up slightly. I just hope the entire album won't be the result of this.

It's All Tears... Amazing on acoustic too and I love to play it. Vol.1 is such a great album. He can do so much with his voice. :) Just gotta love that stuff.

I read somewhere that Venus Doom is supposed to have an acoustic track so I'm looking forward to seeing if that's true.

Him sucks ass. period.
The fact that the band comes from my country doesn't give them extra points from me. They have always sucked and will always suck 'till the end of time.
The vocalist Ville Valo sounds like a sheep with a vibrator in it's arse. hahaha!

Him sucks ass. period.
The fact that the band comes from my country doesn't give them extra points from me. They have always sucked and will always suck 'till the end of time.
The vocalist Ville Valo sounds like a sheep with a vibrator in it's arse. hahaha!

How old are you? 15?

I think they are a good band, I can enjoy some of their songs, but I'm not a big fan or something.

How old are you? 15?

I think they are a good band, I can enjoy some of their songs, but I'm not a big fan or something.
You mustn't take me seriously. really. Maybe I was a bit childish with the sheep-thing, but I really can't see anyting good in HIM. no disrespect for the fans, that is only my opinion. Feel free to attack the bands that I like :)

You mustn't take me seriously. really. Maybe I was a bit childish with the sheep-thing, but I really can't see anyting good in HIM. no disrespect for the fans, that is only my opinion. Feel free to attack the bands that I like :)

It's allright. I'm sorry.
Actually the bands you like are pretty good ;)
So I can't bash them.
And you liking the new Moonsorrow shows that you have to be a good guy :)

It's allright. I'm sorry.
Actually the bands you like are pretty good ;)
So I can't bash them.
And you liking the new Moonsorrow shows that you have to be a good guy :)
Thanks pal, I appreciate that! :) Everybody here on Katatonia forum must have a good taste of music, otherwise they wouldn't listen to Katatonia! :headbang: you have a godly music taste too, for what I see ;)

...Isn't this offtopic? heh..