New house.. new studio..

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
So I've just moved,.. lost my awesome desk.. So need to get some speaker stands.

As it goes my studio looks like ..

StudioOnepeg.jpg

Anyone got any ideas on some cheap - but good - speaker stands?

I've secured my monitors as best as possible, but I really want better ones.. Around the 80cm mark is the height required :)

stack up a couple of cinder blocks and stick a couple mouse pads between them and the monitors

should cost you about $10 total

:erk: I remember when I first moved into my apartment downtown, bought my HS80M's and had them resting on the display boxes they came in...I don't miss those times at all. I would recommend either Quiklok BS-336 (or BS-342, depending on whether you need 36" of lift or 42") depending on how much height you need. They're $100 a pair and solidly built. If you want something more stable, I'd suggest the Ultimate stands stuff, 'cause you can fill their cores with sand. I don't recall their model name or street price though...

I never understand why people need more "solid" stands. It's not like you have monkeys sitting on those stands who move like crazy. Even the most wicked vibration from any speaker should not be able to topple the stand, should it?

That said: bringing the speakers up and away from the table makes a huge difference in sound.

Ah okay dude, sorry I misunderstood the post :)

I think I may try out the cinder / breeze block idea. They're like £1 each, and I reckon I'll need less than 10 - so should be a cheap experiment!

If not, I'll probably go for something a little more professional (quiklok perhaps).

if the stands resonate at all it changes the sound. Only the speaker should move in and out, a stand that moves around even slightly will interfere.

I use the adjustable quikLok BS300 stands with a square of OC705 under the speaker. Not ideal, but it does the job better than flat on a table. I could improve it by filling the base and pole with sand. Having any speaker stand will be an improvement over flat surface.