New Iced Earth DVD

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
Man I love Iced Earth for what they are and the music they created. The music and performance of the DVD is great from what I heard so far.
however, the mix is kind of "mediocre". especially the drums are kind of bad, actually. do I hear obvious slate samples on at least the snare and mis-triggering on the kick? I'm just a little disappointed.

what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EmGXw3pg1j0

I saw them live a few years ago and his tone was absolutely godlike.

This? not so much....

:bah:

Boring mix.

no one can dispute schaffers right hand which is absolutely godlike. however, schaffer has been rocking that kind of undergained tone for a couple of years now and I think it doesn't sound as good as it used to.
just watched some songs off of live in athens. those were the times.

argh, that mix... I was hoping for something way better...

Jon sang the original version of Stormrider, didn't he? So that's ok for me.

A band that released a fucking great live album like "Alive in Athens" doesn't need another
live album in my opinion, hard to top.

Edit:

14 years...that's quite some time, listend to this album non-stop when I was 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
argh, that mix... I was hoping for something way better...

Jon sang the original version of Stormrider, didn't he? So that's ok for me.

A band that released a fucking great live album like "Alive in Athens" doesn't need another
live album in my opinion, hard to top.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOQOG3z6w4

14 years...that's quite some time, listend to this album non-stop when I was 11.

Have to say after finally getting a copy of the new live disc Live in Ancient Kourion I prefer Alive in Athens both in performance and sound. There is a rawness to Alive in Athens I just don't hear on the new one.

I'm sure I'll listen to the new one but after a few listens I prefer the former.

Alive in Athens was one of those live recording where the live versions came across as much more powerful than the studio versions to me. Doesn't always happen, but this was one of them.

Ps - I also listened (and watched the DVD when finally released in 2006) to it quite a bit over the years - except I was much older than 11 ;)

I actually have it in three formats - the original version without "Colors", the reissue with "colors" at the end of disc 2, and the DVD.