New Internet Metal Radio Station comming soon.. Need suggestions

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
hey - In early spring 2004, a new Metal radio station is going to premier - a station I am in charge of. I need some help though. What are some bands that you'd like to hear on the station? Theres guaranteed to be a lot of symphony x, bodom, iced earth, and many many others. All metal sub-genres like black, death, doom, cheesy speed metal will be played.

Drop me some bands you'd like to hear, and if you would like to be a DJ and have experience with shoutcast feel free to email me @ urinalcakemix@hotmail.com - all feedback/support appreciated!

Death Metal, melodic death:

Lykathea Aflame (!!!!!)
Nile
Death
Aeternus (!!!!!)
Pestilence
Suffocation
Cynic
Atheist
Decapitated
Cryptopsy
Enter Chaos
Dark Tranquillity
Darkane
Mors Principium Est
Detonation

Black Metal, Viking, folk metal:

Satyricon
Empyrium
Vinterland
Summoning
Taake
Moonsorrow
Fintroll
Enslaved
Arcturus
Astriaal
(early) Ulver
Blut Aus Nord
Windir

Grind:

Napalm Death
Cattle Decapitation
Cephalic Carnage
Carcass
Eternal Suffering

Doom:

Arcane Sun (you GOT to play this. It'll be hard as hell to find songs, though)

Also check out Haggard and Estradasphere, i'm pretty sure some folks around here would enjoy them.

The best suggestion I have is to use MP3 streaming like Live 365 instead of Windows Media or RealPlayer streaming because, well, those suck. Oh, and don't forget to play some Star One and Nightwish and After Forever!

The station will be streaming through Shoutcast - Winamp plugin. I find it very easy to use, straightforward etc. Looking for about 4k more songs before launch, anyone know any quick, legal ways of getting this on a tight tight budget?

urinalcakemix said:
The station will be streaming through Shoutcast - Winamp plugin. I find it very easy to use, straightforward etc. Looking for about 4k more songs before launch, anyone know any quick, legal ways of getting this on a tight tight budget?
Check Audiogalaxy's Rhapsody (www.audiogalaxy.com), it's a service where you have to pay a certain amount to download songs. I don't remember what's the amount, though.

*Random bands off chest*

As follows:

Anathema
Paradise Lost
Draconian
Dream Theater
Hatebreed
Nightwish
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Dying Fetus
Hate Eternal
Nile
Dimmu Borgir
Gorerotted
Six Feet Under
Cannibal Corpse
Defleshed
Diabolical
Slayer
Queensrÿche
Symphony X
Disgorge
Exmortem
Frozen Sun
Compos Mentis
12Gauge
Soilwork
Hatebreed
Chimaira
Dark Tranquillity

Etc.

Lol.

symphony x is a must, any dream theater before train of thought if u want drummers to stay awake, anything by kalmah, bodom, skyfire, norther, and DEFINATELY adagio. nile, old soilwork, newer arch enemy, older megadeth even. planet X, sonata arctica, time requiem and similar bands. It sounds like it'll come out great!

Death:
Swedish Stuff like Arch Enemy (PRE ANGELA), Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, The Haunted etc..
Old American Death Metal like Death and Pestilence should do pretty well.
Brutal/technical death like Necrophagist, Suffocation, Severed Savior, Cryptopsy, Decaptitated, Dying Fetus, and Spawn of Possession
Jazz Death like Cynic and Atheist
CHILDREN OF BODOM

Black: I'm not into that stuff, but I'm pretty into troll/folk stuff like Vintersorg, Ulver, and Finntroll. I guess stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Emperor as far as more Symphonic BM.

Power/Prog:
Symphony X, Adagio, Sun Caged, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Nevermore(doesn't fit in the category, but what the hell), Pain of Salvation

Shred/Instrumental: Greg Howe, Jason Becker, Andy Timmons, Yngwie

Demonspell said:
I'll definitely check out the station, Internet radio can be very helpful in discovering new music...

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend some good metal radio stations online? I'm mainly into power metal, the heavier progressive metal, and all kinds of death metal.

MEGADETH, iron maiden, sabbath, MEGADETH, dream theater, motorhead, cob, blind guardian, MEGADETH, ummm,,, metallica, did i mention megadeth

and yes, i will listen, if u play some MEGADETH

Serge... said:
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend some good metal radio stations online? I'm mainly into power metal, the heavier progressive metal, and all kinds of death metal.

I have been using some of the stations run via www.live365.com; the same site UM runs their from. They have pretty much everything by everyone.

Check it out, it's pretty good.

Is it just me, or does the UM station play ONLY:

Slayer - Dead Skin Mask [Live]
or
Nevermore - Ambivalent?

Those are the only 2 songs I ever see there, something else from time to time, but more than 75 percent of the time its either of those tracks...