NEW INTERVIEWS & REVIEWS!!! The Motherload - check this out...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
OK people, here we are with the latest and greatest. You know we aim to please...:)

THREE new Interviews!
SOILWORK - Peter Wichers gets cross examined by Chief B
LACUNA COIL - chick on chick action with Cristina Scabbia and Haddsie
INTO ETERNITY - Jim Austin tells all to Yours Truly

TWENTY-ONE new Album Reviews
HELLOWEEN - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
CRADLE OF FILTH - Damnation and a Day
VOIVOD - Voivod
CARNAL FORGE - The More You Suffer: Staff Pick of the Week
PORCUPINE TREE - In Absentia
EVERGREY - Recreation Day
OVERKILL - Killbox 13
MERCENARY - Everblack
SOILWORK - Figure Number Five
LUCA TURILLI - Prophet of the Last Eclipse
ARKHON INFAUSTUS - Filth Catalyst
LUNARIS - ...The Infinite
DAYLIGHT DIES - Idle
SKYLARK - Gate of Heaven
SOILWORK - Natural Born Chaos
HELLOWEEN - Master of the Rings
ARCH ENEMY - Burning Bridges
HAMMERFALL - Legacy of the Kings
DOMINE - Dragonlord
EXIT TO ETERNITY - Demo
FUNERAL RITES - Heaven Falls Bleeding

Kudos to the entire Royal Carnage staff in getting this upload together - particularly the three in New York that busted our asses, drank a shitload of beer, and smoked two packs each to get this out to you lot!

Until next week....oh, and feel free to discuss in this thread. It would be cool to keep this hovering up top for a few days at least.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Demonspell - thought you might like the Into Eternity interview. Not sure what you thought about the criticism regarding vocal scales and so forth?

Will you be seeing them at the NY Knitting Factory supporting Lacuna Coil? [I asked you this on the IE forum so apologies for the redundancy]. :)

Nice review of Carnal Forge Mark. I still need to hear it and am very anxious to do so; however, I totally disagree with one thing you wrote big time: "...DEW-SCENTED would kill to create music this punishing".

No way and I mean NO FREAKING WAY!! There is no way in hell that ANYTHING surpasses the level of "punishing" music that Dew Scented is currently displaying. The song "Life Ending Path" alone on "Inwards" is untouchable. The riffs are to DIE for!! I can't judge Carnal Forge properly until I hear it, but I already know Dew Scented will not be topped (close to being equaled, perhaps, but not topped).

Prepare to bang thy head to Dew Scented in full force at Wacken man. Unless someone you guys want to see in the worst way is playing at the same time, I will force you guys to attend this thrashfest if I have to.... well.... something incentive laden. hehe.

I know there had to be some crazy lesbian sex talk in that Lacuna Coil interview. So please add that part back into the interview.

The interview was quite good, but I feel lesbian sex can only make things even better.

Dark One said:
Nice review of Carnal Forge Mark. I still need to hear it and am very anxious to do so; however, I totally disagree with one thing you wrote big time: "...DEW-SCENTED would kill to create music this punishing".

No way and I mean NO FREAKING WAY!! There is no way in hell that ANYTHING surpasses the level of "punishing" music that Dew Scented is currently displaying. The song "Life Ending Path" alone on "Inwards" is untouchable. The riffs are to DIE for!! I can't judge Carnal Forge properly until I hear it, but I already know Dew Scented will not be topped (close to being equaled, perhaps, but not topped).

Prepare to bang thy head to Dew Scented in full force at Wacken man. Unless someone you guys want to see in the worst way is playing at the same time, I will force you guys to attend this thrashfest if I have to.... well.... something incentive laden. hehe.

Ha... I have to agree. I like Carnal Forge alot, but they don't touch Dew Scented.

You won't be disappointed with them live. I saw them at Milwaukee Metalfest last summer and they were amazing.

phyre said:
Does this mean you also want gay sex in every interview with a male conducted by another?

In the US. Lesbians are only female. Thus, since I said I want lesbian sex in interviews, I don't think I implied anything beyond that.:loco:

Do you ever check your PM's? Or are you ignoring me?

phyre said:
I know that only lesbians are lesbian. However, interest in one form of homosexuality raises the question of whether or not you also like gay sex with men. Because, you know, you might.

I do check my PM's. I am just waiting for the SoulSeek server to come alive so I can see if I find any MP3's. No, I haven't heard them yet. :p

Jeez . . . can't a married guy just fantasize about lesbians anymore?:erk:

BTW, if you find anything on Xasthur, let me know your thoughts.

npearce said:
Jeez . . . can't a married guy just fantasize about lesbians anymore?:erk:

Actually I think the law quite clearly states that married men are allowed to fantasize about lesbians more so than even lesbians themselves.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, did anyone read Chief B's review of Skylark yet? Please do. And then discuss. :D

Well even though I'm a fellow staffer, I'd be glad to (especially since I didn't contribute didly to the latest awesome RC update, haha).

Heh, well that was certainly an interesting review, LOL! It sounds as if Skylark are trying to simply cash in on the Rhapsody formula. It appears that just as there are many imitators of the "Gothenburg" sound and other styles, there are many imitators of Rhapsody's particular brand of fantasy based power metal as well. Some bands I'm sure are performing it well, while others (like Skylark) sound as if they're simply hoping a formula works instead of playing from their souls.

To me, whenever a band plays a style that truly excites and motivates them, whether it's an original style (such as what Opeth or Arcturus plays), or a style where the influences are direct and obvious (such as Imagika or The Duskfall), that motivation will shine through in the quality of the sound. Now I'm not talking about good or bad production and so forth, as that can certainly have a direct influence on the sound quality as well. But I am talking about a true passion for and belief in what you are hoping to accomplish musically. If you truly care about and believe in what you are doing instead of trying to follow a formula or just "going through the motions" to satisfy a record deal, then that will come across in the final product, low budget or not. If you feel stagnated and wish to change things up because a new style is what you want to play, then go for it. If you don't want to change your sound because the sound is your first and foremost love then go for it! The quality will show, believe me.

It is sincerity, more than any other aspect, I believe, that truly defines what "selling out" is all about. It doesn't matter to me if what you are doing happens to sell 10 Million or 5 albums, whether you decide to you melodic choruses over growling choruses, or whether you decide to use banjo/thrash/progressive/avante garde/industrial metal instead of traditional thrash metal, stay true to your personal vision, it will come across as so much more genuine in the end.

At least, that's what I look for when I listen to music.

I just realized a fuck up on my part concerning the latest reviews. In my CRADLE OF FILTH review, I made absolutely NO mention of the Budapest Film Orchestra or the Budapest Film Choir.... :yell:

So for the record, they only enrich the keys and raise the bar for future releases. And that my word.

Dark One said:
If you truly care about and believe in what you are doing instead of trying to follow a formula or just "going through the motions" to satisfy a record deal, then that will come across in the final product, low budget or not.

Heh, but no band will ever admit to following a formula to sell more records.

I think there is some virtue in having a band admit that they're going to change their style in order to sell more records and make some money - you can't stay underground forever and scrape pennies I guess. I would take my hat off to a band that admits they want to make some money in this godforsaken industry.

When someone is offering you $10m, artistic integrity gets flushed down the bog.

Papa Josh said:
So for the record, they only enrich the keys and raise the bar for future releases. And that my word.

This addendum only benefits the UM gang!

What about the general public - millions of people could be reading that review right now....

Send me an update and I can repost if you like. :D

JayKeeley said:
Heh, but no band will ever admit to following a formula to sell more records.

I think there is some virtue in having a band admit that they're going to change their style in order to sell more records and make some money - you can't stay underground forever and scrape pennies I guess. I would take my hat off to a band that admits they want to make some money in this godforsaken industry.

When someone is offering you $10m, artistic integrity gets flushed down the bog.

Yep. And you're certainly right on the money here. Unfortunately, my perspective comes from more of a "fantasy world" viewpoint than what happens in the "real" world. Though, as you say, it would at least be somewhat refreshing for a band to admit they're trying to cash in on a formula in order to sell more records.

From the viewpoint of someone who's simply trying to make a living and put bread on the table, the perspective of reality unfortunately must outweigh so called "artistic integrity". It's completely understandable and sometimes unavoidable.

Me? I'm selfish in that I'm looking at it from a pure fan's perspective (I don't know how to look at it any other way) and simply tend to gravitate more towards a product that comes across as sincere and genuine, than one that is dictated by a corporate or otherwise "trendy" and money driven vision.

Dark One said:
Me? I'm selfish in that I'm looking at it from a pure fan's perspective (I don't know how to look at it any other way) and simply tend to gravitate more towards a product that comes across as sincere and genuine, than one that is dictated by a corporate or otherwise "trendy" and money driven vision.

Very true. And the fact is, you are buying a CD with your own hard earned cash so you therefore would want some entertainment value in return (other than the comfort of knowing you're doing your bit to support the underground).

Having said that, 60% of the fans probably make more money than their favorite underground artists. They need to remember that when they scream "sell out"!

Anyone with a mortgage to pay will know what I'm talking about...heh. Now before anyone shouts "Figure Number Five" my way, my complaint was that the music was just fucking boring. I have no problem with the band wanting to make some $$, hence the reason why Chief B asked if they still had their dayjobs after the success of NBC. And yep, they're still working at the post office delivering sacks of mail...