New issue of Powerplay magazine

Actually, for me Classic Rock has been the best Metal magazine to cater for my needs...kinda says a bit about the state of things here in Blighty! :rollol: I have been aware of Powerplay but high price+low content and the fact that the only newagent to stock it is a 10 minute walk from my house have contributed to me not getting it in the past. I will rectify that on Monday :cool:

I must plug Terrorizer for informing me about masses of kvlt mvtvl bands I have never heard of :cool:

I have to say that I keep intending to subscribe to Powerplay as I bought the Bloodstock issue and was mightily impressed. It is nigh on impossible to get here in Hartlepool....in fact I have never seen a copy in my travels throughout the North East!! I do subscribe to Classic Rock.....I think I have every copy ever issued stashed under the bed gathering dust....however, I think it is going off the boil a bit and I don't read it from cover to cover like I used to. I do occassionally buy Terrorizer but that's a bit extreme for me generally!

Originally posted by The Crystal King
Who else here reckons Power Play is the best english speaking metal mag in the world?

In my opinion the best two UK based metal/rock mags are PowerPlay and Fireworks. Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles is a fine mag as well.

I agree about Classic Rock DM.....it just seems to have an awful lot of "filler" material these days

Originally posted by Symphony
I agree about Classic Rock DM.....it just seems to have an awful lot of "filler" material these days

Well, it's created by the same people who make Metal Hammer I think! Although it was quite decent a couple of years ago.

I have to check out Fireworks, I've been hearing a lot of good though about it. Impossible to get over here unfortunately.

Another great mag that comes 2nd place for me to PP, is Metalworks which is an irish mag. Only two issues a year though..

I've never heard of Fireworks! Bloody hell!

Funnily enough, Classic Rock had a big article on The Sweet last issue. I haven't re-read an article like that for such awhile, it were damn good. What do you guys mean by 'filler' in that mag?

Just finished reading the interview - bloody great, Steve :) It was ded gud having the DragonForce interview alongside it also. Gotta read the rest of the bluddi thing now...

I've never heard of Fireworks! Bloody hell!

Ayeka, wherever have you and Andi been hiding? Its usually available in HMV stores and at festivals like The Gods.

All the info you need can be found here
http://www.rathole.com/crumbs/fireworks/

Its writers include some old names and familiar faces like Dave Cockett and theirs even a few regulars from the melodicrock.com forum like Keiran Dargan. Its more orientated towards the melodic rock end of things - kinda like the old Hard Roxx and Powerplay in its early days.

As for 'filler' in Classic Rock, Ayeka, you must be choking on the stuff. All those 'memories of a young rock journo' and 'when I were on tour with Bon Jovi' type things are getting so predictable. The magazine is relying on fans buying to read about memories of the big names in their glory years and isn't enough about current music and breaking bands who play the same style of music in this day and age. Powerplay and the Classic Rock Society magazine just piss all over Classic Rock Magazine for coverage of current and new acts. If it aint on a major label Clasic Rock Magazine aint interested.

[I bought every copy of Classic Rock Magazine from Issue 1 until a few months ago, so I do know what I'm talking about]

Sorry about the typos - hope their all fixed now :)

Originally posted by Symphony
Cheers Ayeka! Hopefully it will be great exposure for both bands

I had a thought - was some something awhile back about doing a Terrorizer interview? I don't think so, but...if it happened, then I think that would just cap things off perfectly. Powerplay loved PowerQuest, I could tell that, and another blast of exposure from a magazine...well, not aimed at Power Metal fans, but still has a bit of an audience for it (or maybe I'm the only one! :D) would have all the underground fans that didn't know about PQ clued all already...and that would put you in great stead for the next album, ne?

chazzyf - I don't think I've ever seen Fireworks in my local HMV, but I'll take a closer look next time. Cheers for that. As for Classic Rock...well, either I'm blind or I really do enjoy nostalgic stories :D

Yeah, I know they focus on black/death/hardcore but I thought they had space beyond the "reviews" page for Power Metal...or maybe it still is just me :)