New Joey interviews (says he could have done SOWN)

anomynous

Jun 12, 2011
UG: Scott Ian said to me recently, “If you go back and listen to Persistence of Time, it has more in common with the Sound of White Noise than it does with State of Euphoria. That’s where we were going and we just felt like we needed a new voice to go where we were going because we were trying at the time to move forward with Joey and we were hitting a wall.” How do you respond to that?

Joey Belladonna: To me, I think it’s a crock myself to be honest with ya. I think they just wanted something different. Period. I don’t know what I wasn’t doing that wasn’t fitting their style. Granted they went down a new road like anyone else does [to do] something different. If that’s what you want to do, be different but it don’t mean I wasn’t able to do what they would have liked to have done or could have accomplished. You know what I mean? They can argue with it too all day long but my view is they went and got somebody different to fit the new style of what was happenin’ in the ‘90s or whatever. I was too melodic; the vocals were too high or whatever. I don’t know—whatever you want to call it. All the stuff that I was doing, it was working and that doesn’t seem to work in their style? And then all of a sudden if you look back now and you wind up right to this point, we’re right back where I could have done anything really.

You would have felt comfortable singing on the Sound of White Noise album?

There wasn’t anything they did on those records—and forget John [Bush] for a minute—there’s nothing on those records that I couldn’t have accomplished something that would have been comparable to anything we’ve ever done before that. I just don’t see it; I just don’t. I have never even really had this conversation with them nor do they want to go there because (A) they probably don’t want to debate it and (B) and it’s just something no one wants to dispute. I don’t know—who knows?

More of the interview here

I love that Joey's putting Scott and Charlie in their place :headbang:

More of the interview here

I love that Joey's putting Scott and Charlie in their place :headbang:

I wish he'd go further and say "I wouldn't wanted to have sang on volume 8, stomp, and WCFYA anyways, those guys tried too hard to be 'modern' and those albums sucked"

Joey pretty much has these guys by the balls and its awesome. All of this new success is 100 percent because Joey has returned. If Don Nelson or John Bush was on vocals they wouldn't have half of the publicity they are now getting.

The band knows this and it's why all the guys in the band are all kissing his nuts in every interview.

All of this new success is 100 percent because Joey has returned.

That's obviously nonsense, but I agree his comeback helped up the hype a bit.
Cool interview, but I have difficulty comprehending what he wants to say sometimes. His talk has always seemed a bit confused to me.

hmmm...had John Bush wanted to sing with Anthrax we wouldn't have this discussion...:)
Remember that he was committed to do the first Big Four gigs but decided that it is Joey turn...Remember also that those Metallica gigs - where Anthrax was the opening act 3 big ones - caused the publicity we are talking here...so in the end I'm NOT sure how much this "new coming of Anthrax" is because of Joseph. Timing for his return was right...

T:)

hmmm...had John Bush wanted to sing with Anthrax we wouldn't have this discussion...:)
Remember that he was committed to do the first Big Four gigs but decided that it is Joey turn...Remember also that those Metallica gigs - where Anthrax was the opening act 3 big ones - caused the publicity we are talking here...so in the end I'm NOT sure how much this "new coming of Anthrax" is because of Joseph. Timing for his return was right...

It is. That's why there's so much hype. A shit load of fans are glad Joeys back. Only some want Bush back. Shut up and get over it :lol:

No new faces here...where are those "shit load of fans"?
...and the old ones are downloading the album....how loyal is that? :)

No new faces here...where are those "shit load of fans"?
...and the old ones are downloading the album....how loyal is that? :)

I see them on Facebook and all over the web. I don't mean just the fans on this forum. I downloaded it but I already pre-ordered it on vinyl and CD.:Spin:

Remember that he was committed to do the first Big Four gigs but decided that it is Joey turn

I still doubt this. I remember what this 6er guy was saying - that John was actually asked to early retire, even though he didn't really want to, and that Joey signed a two years deal (and then we will see). Granted this guy was an asshole, but I am sure he was planted here by the band itself or the management to stir up some shit before the Big 4, that's why he disappeared so mysteriously after he'd been "banned". Because his mission was complete, but he surely knew what he was talking about.

Yep...I think I saw an interview with Bush where he was saying that he was committed to those 4-5 Big Four shows, but because he didn't want to do the album they paid him and got Joey to do the gigs...

How many months there are left of this 2 year contract?

Would you guess in 1992 they kick him out...or for that matter Frank in 2004 and yes he got fired... every succesfull band that did a reunion did it for the first time, not for the second... with this band, you just never know :)

I wish he'd go further and say "I wouldn't wanted to have sang on volume 8, stomp, and WCFYA anyways, those guys tried too hard to be 'modern' and those albums sucked"

Typical IMFAN09 Comment. The reason Joey didn't say it was because he has way more class in his little finger that you will ever have. Why say shit like that? We know already but you have to keep insulting the people that have stuck by the band through thick and thin, unlike you. Talk about a "fair weather" fan. Joey actually respects when Anthrax did. That's class.

I think its great that the band is getting some long overdue recognition.
With that being said you can't think that Joey is the only reason.
The Big 4 Tour is probably the biggest factor.

I have been to every tour since ATL.
Were there huge crowds at the original reunion tour?
If you were at WCFYA and the reunion you know they played a lot of the same venues to a lot of the same sized crowds.

Cliff notes, I don't want to listen to Frank talk about shit for 99% of the interview