New Macbook Pro. How to handle file management?

ArsMemoria

Apr 4, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
I picked up a new rMBP today with a 256GB flash drive. I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do with regards to recording. I knew I should pick up a separate hard drive(I'm looking at Glyph drives in the future), but for light recording work and school - would the internal hard drive be all right to use until I pick up an external?

You'll be fine on the internal for on-the-go type non-heavy work. I frequently edit entire sessions, track DI guitars, and write MIDI drums/softysnth parts off the internal of my rMBP.

Did you get the newest one with the force-touch trackpad? Real curious about it, mine's from mid/late 2014.

That's exactly what I'm using mine for. And yeah, it's the brand new one with the force-touch. I haven't dived into the functionality of it yet, and it feels weird going from the trackpad on a 2011 MBP, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's a snappy little fucker, can't wait to move all of my files over to it and mess around with Logic Pro.

Using the internal will be totally fine. I've been recording to and mixing off of a non-SSD internal for 5 years. Mid-2010 MBP

Internal will be fine but might want to move projects to an external one of performance ever starts to choke or you're recording high track counts

What's a good external drive to look into? I know I mentioned Glyph above, which I only really know because we have a couple drives at my school, but anyone else using anything more than just a typical HDD?

I'm getting an iMac in a couple of months and I was planning to buy the 256 gb version of the Samsung T1 external SSD. Good price point and the reviews seem fine, so I'm assuming it doesn't suck?