New Melo or Prog Death Bands?

With all due respect, if you are new to metal and you don't like black metal it is probably because you have yet to learn to like it. It can be a very difficult genre to get into.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Atheist. I know it's more technical death than progressive death, but who cares. It should appeal to a fan of prog death.

I know what you mean, that's how I got into the heavier stuff in general so maybe I should just give it time. I'd need something to ease into though so I could get the ear for it.

I finally finished listening to everything everyone suggested. I liked some of it, didn't like some of it, and downloaded whatever I thought was good. With it being thanksgiving and all I'll probably be too busy to sift through everything I downloaded. Thanks for all the help :headbang:

aka awesome... that is if it even sounded like that anyway. What the hell. Though i think Sindustries is better anyway.
I dunno. I'll give it another listen. But I generally didn't like the sound on that album. Massive rhythm guitar and really thin lead. But they definitely displayed potential for good songwriting in Power Tool and Deserted.
I'm not a huge fan of mdm with mixed clean and harsh voxx.

One band i think is to be watched out for in the future is Solution .45

It's Christian Alvestam (Unmoored, Scar Symmetry, Miseration, etc.)'s new band. I always loved his voice, but with Scar Symmetry the riffs were just a tad too generic for my liking. This band seems to remedy that. Listen to this epically tasty teaser for the upcoming album!

http://www.myspace.com/solution45
I'm having trouble telling the difference between this and Scar Symmetry. Sounds like a slightly less aggressive song that was left off Pitch Black Progress.

With all due respect, if you are new to metal and you don't like black metal it is probably because you have yet to learn to like it. It can be a very difficult genre to get into.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Atheist. I know it's more technical death than progressive death, but who cares. It should appeal to a fan of prog death.
I agree about black metal. Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse is pretty accessible, though.
As for Atheist, I thought that was too obvious, but yeah, a good call.

I finally finished listening to everything everyone suggested. I liked some of it, didn't like some of it, and downloaded whatever I thought was good. With it being thanksgiving and all I'll probably be too busy to sift through everything I downloaded. Thanks for all the help :headbang:
If you could tell use what you liked and didn't like it'd help.

I'm having trouble telling the difference between this and Scar Symmetry. Sounds like a slightly less aggressive song that was left off Pitch Black Progress.

LESS aggressive? It's not one song anyway, it's like 5 or 6 different ones. It is very scar symmetry sounding, which doesn't surprise me since most of Christian's projects are some form of melodic death metal, but it sounds to me like something heavier with better riffs, something a little less generic. That teaser alone tells me i will like it a lot more than SS.

Soilwork >>> Scar Symmetry

If you liked Lunarsea, get Dark Tranquillity, Cipher System, Disarmonia Mundi (first album esp. very similar to Lunarsea, more "prog death" leaning though).

Odd that you'd like Scar Symmetry but not Soilwork.
Try Dissection, by the way.

Maybe he heard one of their recent albums. @OP, get one of the first 3 albums (steelbath suicide, the chainheart machine, and A Predator's Portrait), APP is the one i'm willing to bet you'd like the most. that one ant TCHM are easily two of the best melodic death metal albums i know of.

I know this was probably a bad idea but i'm lazy so I just went to the band's myspace to see what I could get my hands on. I liked Dan Swano but I can't find anywhere get Moontower. And I thought Dark Tranquillity was really good.