new mics, still debating....

i don't get what all this MXL bashing is about. It's not like they make a shitty product and charge an arm and a leg. They make a workable product at pretty much the lowest price possible. If you're just learning the basics of engineering and miking techniques MXL's offer a low cost way to do so. Now if you are buying them expecting them to compare to a $2,000 Nuemann or even a really nice AKG then yeah you are going to be dissapointed, but once again thats not the market MXL wanted to be in.

I agree. I use an MXL991 as one of my OH's and I dig it. Obviously, who wouldn't want nicer mics in general, but when you are forced to work with what you afford, you tend to dig the stuff that works well on a limited budget ;) I think the MXL's do that in my experience.

I also use a Samson C03 condenser for vocals and I loooove that thing. In comparison to a few mikes I've used for vox (most notably a Shure KSM44), it outshined them all. It cost me like 100 bucks on sale at Sam Ash and I've been extremely pleased with it.