New mix using Slate 2.0 + Revalver - advice needed..

Nov 6, 2002
Ireland
Visit site
This is my first proper attempt with the slate samples and Revalver. I'm producing the demo cd and new album for my band, and it's fast melodic metal This song is also going to have plenty of synth and vocal layers (hence the lack of any serious guitar riffage in this song:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889569&songID=7228629

Less bassy version (slightly longer):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=7228611

Would really like to hear your opinion on the guitars and overall production... any tips appreciated. Which version do you think is best?

Updated with improved samples.

ANY advice appreciated.. even if it's negative. Can't be much worse that what I've gotten from the slate forum:

"The programming is really bad and it doesn't sound like what a drummer would do or play. It also seems like like your Velocity's are a little wacky some come in really hard and then really light right away. It's rather sloppy in the guitar and bass department also..."

:zombie:

thanks for the positive comment !!!

I will tell you exactly which samples they are when I get home.

But I'm 99.9% sure it's Kick 15 and Snare 2, with quick toms also.

There is also a good bit of eq, some using the Logic Channel EQ and also some apEQ. If you want screen shots of the eq I can give them. The drums are great without EQ, but with some EQ they blew me away...

The guitars sound a little distant/quiet compared to the drums, and they sound a little behind the beat at times?

You might be talking about the first section - I actually shouldn't have posted it as it *is* behind the beat, but when you hear the dual guitar on top, it will make more sense why it's out of sync.

I will give more samples when the guitars are all on there... but for now, how is the tone?

Yeah Morgoe, you are right. I played all the drums live on a keyboard based on my drummers performance, but some of it came out a bit uneven. I will need to go through the velocities one by one I reckon...