New motW FAQ

FalseTodd

Skirt Wizard
Jul 31, 2002
Boston nee San Diego
www.kayodot.net
FAQ - A few Q's, a few A's. If you have any more Q's, please A them!

Q: When?

A: Not exactly sure, it's hard to say. Please keep in mind that we were still tracking this thing in the last week of February, six weeks turnaround on a studio album is not something that really happens!

Q: No physical CDs?

A: We are only releasing the new album digitally. We do not plan to release any physical media. As has been mentioned, this was a fan-funded effort to release music that would otherwise go unrecorded. A physical CD release would cost money, not make money, due to the realities of modern music distribution, and that of maudlin's limited fanbase. We love you, but there's just not very many of you. Digital-only is what makes sense, and is what we are doing unless something crazy drops in our laps. We are providing the option for people to create their own CDR easily if you really need to carry around a discman or what-have-you.

As a result, the digital version we make available will be the only way that the record exists publicly. When it is released it needs to be absolutely complete, nothing fixed or added later. This means album artwork, lyrics, titles, credits, etc. all have to be in order. These things take time, especially when we all have other things going on, as we all most certainly do. It's been 8 years since Bath/LYBM I think we can all stomach another few weeks.

Q: Versions?

A: We are planning on three versions.

1. CD quality WAV files for those who wish to make, y'know, CDs for some reason. This will be distributed as an ISO file for easy burning, and follow the CD standard of 16bit / 44.1kHz stereo. Don't like our other encoding offerings? Burn / Extract this and then feel free to encode to Ogg Vorbis, get your little-endian AIFF on, etch to wax cylinder, punch player piano scrolls, etc.

2. Higher-Than-CD-Quality FLAC files. These will be pretty close to digitally equivalent to our masters: 24bit, 44.1kHz stereo. For the audiophile obsessive types.

3. MP3s. I imagine this is what most people want. These will be very high-quality MP3s - VBR-V0.

Everything will be bittorrented, in addition the MP3s should be available directly via our website (to be announced later).

We are going to do our best to include artwork with all three. No 100% sure how that will work, we'll figure it out.

Q: I would like to help what can I do?

A: Seed! We are releasing everything via Bittorrent so the most helpful thing that anyone can do is to grab the torrent file of their chosen version, download the album, and let the thing seed once it's done for as long as you can stand it.

---

Finally, we would all like to thank each of you for your intense interest in the project, and especially extend our gratitude to Etienne and all of the people who quite literally made this happen by donating. It has been an amazing and unique privilege to get to record this music, and we are stunned and humbled by your generosity and support!

Lovez,
Sam

i reposted this on the motw myspace page. i'll try to keep everything current. get in touch with myself or toby if you want access to the myspace page for any edits and stuff.

you should consider uploading a copy to a file distro site as well for the technophobes who haven't adopted/don't know anything about bittorrent. i'm sure it'll be done eventually by someone else anyway, but it'd be nice to have multiple options available simultaneous to the album's release.

awesome!

when I get this, should I open it up on Soulseek?

I feel like if you're giving it away anyway, best to take the bull by the horns and make sure the versions that are distributed are high quality...

you should consider uploading a copy to a file distro site as well for the technophobes who haven't adopted/don't know anything about bittorrent. i'm sure it'll be done eventually by someone else anyway, but it'd be nice to have multiple options available simultaneous to the album's release.

I think you'll be able to download it directly from the site, but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible once the files are released!

Alex - N, not yet

Yeah the MP3s will be available directly from the site, the FLACs / ISO will simply be too big I think. I don't expect to get totally crushed bandwidth-wise, but people who are obsessive enough to download 500MB of this thing are also probably obsessive enough to get their bittorrent on?

I'm one of those people who use cds yet. My ipod nano only lasts for 2 hours so I'm not going to waste money buying adapters for it. So I will be one of those people who will download 500mb worth the data.

I'm one of those people who use cds yet. My ipod nano only lasts for 2 hours so I'm not going to waste money buying adapters for it. So I will be one of those people who will download 500mb worth the data.

Your nuts! N-V-T-S nuts! Totally cool, I knew someone would need it out there :)

Avi: Thanks for the tip I will definitely check that out! I'm up for any and all mirrors. More the merrier.

toby's friend eric posted this on the myspace blog:

Now Sam: What are the chances of 1. Making T-shirts for silly old guys like me to wear threadbare, 2. playing it live and, 3. fulfilling my '09 dream of you hooking up live with Idiot Flesh's similar project?........8 years, eh? I still have your poster up. Damn I feel old right now.

I can't speak for everyone/thing but I'm guessing the answer to all those is "Not likely" :( If anything like any of that came up I'm sure we'd let you all know. But I believe this will be a one-off kind of thing, barring unforeseen circumstances.