New one for you guys...

I see 4 lol.

Where's Waldo?

waldo3.gif

I'm thinking the first gtr pic is the hellraiser also. Could be wrong...

Yes that's definitely a Blackjack. And I really dig the snare sound. Could you tell us the secret?

Sounds great Oz.....Hey can you maybe give me some info on how you got that hi-res player in your myspace...... i remember you saying something about it in another thread.....and im interested in getting rid of the myspace player

+1, had a go at getting a hi-res player today and it works to the point of loading up a song and then just doesn't. Apparently Myspace have got some kind of anti-flash coding that prevents flash players accessing external hosting sites.... but yours seems to work fine - ???

Ok, original mix has been taken down & has been replaced with a new mix. Same idea, but with a few tweaks. More definition in the bass guitar, thicker & louder guitars, & vocals dropped a touch. I also reworked how I mastered it & the opening is much more dynamic, as I intended it to be. It also seems to maintain the initial frequency balance. I've never cranked a mix up like this before, so it's a bit of a leaning process on how not to have your mix turn to shit. Last time around, the frequencies got skewed & guitars came out a bit "quacky." This time around, guitars are how I intended.

Oh yes, btw, the bass was one of those Yamaha Dream Theater models through a Sansamp bass driver DI & Distressor. The guy played fingerstyle & I was having a hell of a time getting any sort of definition out of him. This time around, I consulted the manual (go figure) & set it up for a "SVT" type tone. Normally, I'll record a sansamp at about a 60% blend. The manual recommended a 100% blend so I figured, "what the hell?" In this instance, it seems to have worked.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, you've helped me get this sort of mix I've been after for years! :headbang:

BTW, be back in a minute to post about that snare....

Oh yeah, here's the links:
http://www.myspace.com/spectresound
http://www.spectresound.ca/recordings.shtml

It is much better now. I hear bass! :lol:
I keep thinking though that the drums are a hair too loud and the snare could do with a touch of reverb, possibly the kick also. I don't know. The ride is pretty weak however. Maybe thats intentional...

The snare has plenty of verb on it. Any more would just cloud the mix up. I wanted to keep it very "in your face." Verb on the kick? Not a chance. Not at that speed.

Everything else is just more personal taste than anything... however, I do thank you for the bass observations.... I've got this mix dialed in right where I want it. Thanks!

-0z-

Great work, as usual. The mix is very balanced. I don't really like the guitars, however, they seem to be a bit scooped and their highs are harsh. Just my humble opinion, though. :)

The snare has plenty of verb on it. Any more would just cloud the mix up. I wanted to keep it very "in your face." Verb on the kick? Not a chance. Not at that speed.

Everything else is just more personal taste than anything... however, I do thank you for the bass observations.... I've got this mix dialed in right where I want it. Thanks!

-0z-

Glad I could help.