Finished mix, Slate content, & API!

Sounds great Oz. This may your best job yet imo. I know it's already done and all but if you want some criticism anyway, I'd say the kick needs to be clearer, you know, more hi-fi sounding, it's a bit muddy imo. Also I'd like to hear the ride a bit louder. It sounds kind of distant. To bad you didn't have the time to get those guys to lay down tighter takes and maybe quad track them. (assuming they're not) Oh, and maybe the rhythm guitars could be slightly louder also. :lol: :headbang:

Trying to help you achieve ever so closer to that Sneap quality level that we all want. :)

:kickass:

man I need Slate's drums.

vox are a bit hot for my taste and I wish the guitars were a hair louder, but they sound fantastic and i'm a guitar player so maybe that's why

nice work

how did you treat the leads? sounds really nice

Fair enough. Mark's voice is pretty cutting.

As for the leads, it's a single 57 into an API 512C, a little EQ, a little stereo echo & that's it. Somewhere around 400-410 ms of delay, 5% feedback, & just blended in at the threshold of audibility.

Sounds great Oz. This may your best job yet imo. I know it's already done and all but if you want some criticism anyway, I'd say the kick needs to be clearer, you know, more hi-fi sounding, it's a bit muddy imo. Also I'd like to hear the ride a bit louder. It sounds kind of distant. To bad you didn't have the time to get those guys to lay down tighter takes and maybe quad track them. (assuming they're not) Oh, and maybe the rhythm guitars could be slightly louder also. :lol: :headbang:

Trying to help you achieve ever so closer to that Sneap quality level that we all want. :)

:kickass:

Thanks for your input! It's always appreciated, believe me.

Actually, the guitars were quad tracked. Just with a single mic instead of the fred technique. I thought the guys didn't do all that bad considering we were flying blind without a click.

As for getting to that "Sneap Quality" well, thanks for pushing me! :)

I really need to get a second set of SDC for hats & ride. That mix only had 2 overhead mics & a ride mic certainly would have helped.

Conservative approach to drums recording + modern edge from slate samples =
Tits!
Can't wait to hear such a combination with a tighter band.
You deserve it Glenn.

Thanks very much, Burny! Yeah, we will DEFINITELY be tracking to a click next time. ...It's my only regret with this one.

Yes & no. The most important thing for a heavy rhythm tone is the player. The sound is in the hands. The followed by the guitar... i.e. what pickups/wood etc. etc. That's why I love Schecters. Then the amp, how it's set, the cabinet, mic position, & then finally the preamp.
-0z-

Much as I admire your work I beg to differ, IMO the worst asian garage-made guitar plugged in the best amp will still sound times better than the best Schecter plugged in an overdriven $2 radio :), tuning issues aside.

Much as I admire your work I beg to differ, IMO the worst asian garage-made guitar plugged in the best amp will still sound times better than the best Schecter plugged in an overdriven $2 radio :), tuning issues aside.

That might be, but I've hooked a few guys up to some of the best stuff available & it sounded like shit. Why? Bad technique. The sound is in the hands.

If the technique is bad, no amount of gear/money can fix it.