scarr3d

Real Life Death
Aug 5, 2001
portland, OR
www.speakeasy.net
check out this 'news update' from metalupdate.com:

<snip>
OPETH October 26

Digital Metal reports that Opeth has ambitious plans to follow up 'Blackwater Park' <br>with a two-album set - one heavy and one mellow.
</snip>
anyone else remember an Opeth interview in which they stated they would NOT do this. i believe the term they used was 'pretentious.' hmmmm....probably just a stupid rumor.:rolleyes:

youre a bit late man, go to the general discussion forum and you'll see that we've known about this for a fair while now, and a lot of people are pretty excited about it.

i was just curious if anyone else read that same interview. see below:

Several years ago I read an interview where you mentioned that it had been suggested in the past that Opeth record a double album consisting of one calm and one more aggressive. Can you elaborate on what you think of this idea? On one hand it could be interesting, but don’t you think that it would lessen the impact of your songs to not have such dynamic changes and mood swings within each individual track?
---------------------------------------
Mikael Åkerfeldt: I don’t know if it’s a good idea, it’s too pretentious! I like to just record what the hell comes out. If we would sit down and plan a record it probably would fail. We are like a "heat of the moment" band that records the first thing we come up with, you know.

http://www.holyterror.com/aversionline/index.html?/aversionline/2000/interrogation/int-opeth.html

but yeah...apologies for the duplicate post.

Originally Mikael Åkerfeldt: I don’t know if it’s a good idea, it’s too pretentious! I like to just record what the hell comes out. If we would sit down and plan a record it probably would fail. We are like a "heat of the moment" band that records the first thing we come up with, you know.

[/B]

This is possibly one of those things that is deterring about Opeth, for what is Akerfeldt saying? Is his music only "accidentally" good or what?

But I also know it's not true- they spent years on the tracks on Orchid and Morningrise. MAYH and Still Life are wonderfully polished and cohesive concept albums. And Blackwater Park- well, though Akerfeldt claims he put the lyrics together literally the last few hours- the songs are the most repetitive and structured (in a very good way!!). Not to mention the fact that BP is probably the most light-hearted album they have, which is to say it's not meant to be any more 'crafted' than it is. *shrugs*

"...what is Akerfeldt saying? Is his music only "accidentally" good or what?" -X

Mikael Åkerfeldt: I don’t know if it’s a good idea, it’s too pretentious! I like to just record what the hell comes out. If we would sit down and plan a record it probably would fail. We are like a "heat of the moment" band that records the first thing we come up with, you know.

God...I could be wrong here! But this just sounds like me trying to tell people that I just don't LIKE to plan ahead. I like to keep everything open until the moment of "conception" and then decide what I'm going to do. Maybe he doesn't want to say "YES! I'm going to record a double CD someday and it's going to be like this." Maybe he really wants to, but just doesn't like to set it in stone so much. Like...surprise!

Probably not. I'm just remembering yesterday. "Let's do this for Thanksgiving and then that for Christmas...and this and that. Yes? Do you want to? Do ya do ya do ya? Huh?" I don't like planning things ahead of time....unless I planned it! :lol: I guess that's what I'm getting at.

"Drained from strength, flickering breath."