Opeth News

burning inside

Question authority
Oct 21, 2001
Denver, CO
http://www.digitalmetal.com/news.asp?cid=1710

Heralded Swedish metallers Opeth are presently working on not one but two full-lengths as the follow-up to this year's fantastic Blackwater Park opus.
Currently, Opeth haven't revealed any titles to the upcoming two-CD set as the project is very much in its initial stages, where the entire process is still under negotiation with label Music For Nations since two albums would, in fact, knock off three albums in the band's contract in just one year's time and is likely to not happen if talks fail between the label and band. However, vocalist/guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt revealed the secret even his bandmates aren't privy to about Opeth's next venture.

"I tell you I do have plans for another CD or double CD you could say. I'm planning my/our biggest thing so far. Two CD's released at once, one super-sick and heavy and fast and one mellow. Both linked together."

Two albums released simultaneously is something most outfits of similar stature wouldn't dream of. Akerfeldt confessed he wasn't too sure how to proceed after the Steve Wilson-produced Blackwater Park album, but thinks that even though this is an ambitious move, it's definitely going be exciting as fans have been screaming for "mellow" album ever since Opeth's debut album, Orchid.

"I didn't know what I wanted. I had all these mellow parts that I really liked and some heavy shit that I also liked. My natural way would be to bring it all together, which I, in some parts, will but the major part of the heavy LP will be heavy and same with the mellow CD."

The songwriter didn't mention when or where the band's next releases will be recorded, but we suspect that the the two albums will see the light of day sometime in late fall 2002.

------------------------

Interesting: One heavy album, one mellow album.