Hey all im new to opeth

Battering Ram

New Metal Member
Oct 16, 2004
Hey all im gunna be posting at these forums so i jus thought i will give myself a little intro before posting away. I just got into Opeth i heard the song face of melinda and harvest, then i bought the lementations dvd and watched the whole dvd start to finish and though i have been missing out on all this good music for a long time now. I hate death metal vocals but Mikeals are just fuckin awesome and they dont sound like a death metal band it sounds yet so progressive and technical which adds some to the song. I got damnation and am loving it great album indeed. I am planning to get blackwater park and deliverence, im in australia so opeth cd's are hard to find in my town. But i heard that Opeth love australia and come here alot. Mikaels voice is just amazing so versitile and martin lopez is one drummer i wish i knew before, it just seems he is a drum machine no matter what they want he will do it. Thats all my talk for now, cheers fellas

Opeth have been here twice - I'm not sure whether you can call that 'alot', but whatever. You can find most - if not all - of their CDs at your local JB HiFi. If that fails, and you live in Melbourne, simply just head down to Metal Mayhem. Failing that, just get them shipped from The End records.

Oh and welcome.

welcome, shame you've only heard damnation so far, it doesn't really give you a good view on opeth...

get blackwater park/delieverence/my arms, your hearse next...

Battering Ram said:
I am planning to get blackwater park and deliverence, im in australia so opeth cd's are hard to find in my town.

Don't forget to get ORCHID and MORNINGRISE also ...
Older Opeth records may not be as sharp "production wise" but as far as I'm concerned, the creativity and originality on these two are surpassed by none so far ...

And by the way, welcome to the board ! :kickass:

ænimated said:
welcome, shame you've only heard damnation so far, it doesn't really give you a good view on opeth...

get blackwater park/delieverence/my arms, your hearse next...

He said he watched lamantations so that means he's seen/heard deliverance too. So he's not missing out on all the fun but i agree get all the oth4er albums as well you will not regret it.

The Lamentations DVD was my first introduction to Opeth. I'm a slow learner and a newbie to the forum too. I just don't have a huge budget for buying music. Most of my money goes into my gas tank :erk:

About Lamentations DVD I have a couple of things to say.
First, I saw it and it was more than I've ever expected plus if you live in the "ass of the world" PLUS devaluation PLUS nobody comes from Europe or the Us to play here, so after of travel to Chile to see them (they never came, chilean/mexican management problems, of course. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!) it was awesome to see them alive even if they were on TV.
But, after listening the whole show I've felt a little bit dissapointed because the've only focused on the latest records and they didn't play tracks from Orchid, Morningrise or My arms, your hearse. And I would loved listening White Cluster or Serenity Painted Death from the Still Life album, or April Ethereal, When, The Amen Corner, songs they didn't play that much alive or more often like Forest of October, Silhouette, Advent or Nectar...
Obviously they would took more than 3 hours, but that would be more than worth it. Don't you think?

Luz.-

Definitely agree but I think this DVD is a stepping stone to more successful concert DVD releases. The Lamentations DVD is a good product that will only do wonders for Opeth's popularity. I'm sure we will be seeing more Opeth's concerts on DVD in the future. Soon I hope! :worship:

Very unfortunate about the cancelled Chile gig. Traveling to remote locations can be a bitch.

Of course, we all hope to see them alive someday, plus if you live in South America.
I think I was born in the wrong country,... but I love Argentina anyway...

\m/
P/S: I COULD DIE WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE :headbang:

Luz.-

Vrykolakas said:
Definitely agree but I think this DVD is a stepping stone to more successful concert DVD releases. The Lamentations DVD is a good product that will only do wonders for Opeth's popularity. I'm sure we will be seeing more Opeth's concerts on DVD in the future. Soon I hope! :worship:

Very unfortunate about the cancelled Chile gig. Traveling to remote locations can be a bitch.

Well, if they didn't have those contract problems, I'm sure they'd have played some older stuff as well. I remember people posting playlists (and that quite often) and aroudn that time Face of Melinda and To bid you farewell were always on it. Hopefully they solve those problems, though I don't care much for Opeth live, being used to their records.

@luz: the only reason they don't play any songs from before blackwater park on the lamentations dvd is their record company Music For Nations didn't have the rights to the older material and didn't want to pay for it. i wonder if we'll ever see a dvd of them playing older stuff...

You know its fucking odd. My girl hates death metal vocals and just about everything else I listen to, yet she loves everything about Opeth, even the growls. It herks me even more, the fact that she wants Mikael to sing her a lullabye every night.

The Invoking said:
You know its fucking odd. My girl hates death metal vocals and just about everything else I listen to, yet she loves everything about Opeth, even the growls. It herks me even more, the fact that she wants Mikael to sing her a lullabye every night.

I wonder if mike sings lullabys for his kid, It would be funny if he growled melinda to sleep :loco: