new opeth fan needs help-blackwater park? Damntation?

binkis

New Metal Member
Mar 31, 2004
ok i own deliverance, my arms your hearse, and morningrise.
my local music store has blackwater park, and damnation because i bought all the others (i have never seen orchid or still life there). Im going to buy damnation because i heard is melodic and it sounds really awesome. i just wanted to know about blackwater park??? how is it? is it heavy or softer like damnation??? I will eventually buy them all... my favorite of the 3 i have now is deliverance because i love the mixture of melodic and the just plain death... so how is blackwater park? whats it sound like?? thanks.

Blackwater Park is my personal fave. I fucking love it. Its heavy with many clean passages. Track 3 Harvest is all clean vocals. Track 7 Patterns In The Ivy is a short instrumental. The other 6 Tracks are all a mixture of heavy/mellow parts. You cant go wrong with any opeth album. They all kick arse. Damnation isn't really melodic (In the sense I think your talking of atleast). It's a mellow 70's esque progressive rock album. Really cool though. Stop wasting your time buying at a record store bro. Go to theendrecords.com they will satisfy all your metal loving needs. Free shipping! And you'll get your cd's within days. Why spend more money, have a limited selection, and go to a record store. When you can sit back, save money, and have all the cd's you want at your choosing? Give it a try. As far as still life and orchid go. They fucking rock! Glad you like the band's music. Good luck and take care of yourself! ;)

Blackwater Park is my favorite Opeth album. It's closer to My Arms, Your Hearse than anything else.

Just watched the 'Lamentations' dvd. Unbelievably awesome by the way.

On the interview/behind the scenes portion of the video, Mikael hinted that the next album will be their most extreme and possibly a concept album.

So you have THAT to look foward to......

Well Deliverance is my least favorite Opeth CD (though its still a good album, so obviously we don't see eye to eye on Opeth. BWP is far from Opeth's best work, however is still a very good album. Leper's Affinity and the title track are some of Opeth's more agressive (with soft parts in there where nessasary of course) and are both masterfully done. Harvest is a nice acoustic track, nothing amazing. Drige for November is an amazingly painful and tragic song. Overall a very good album, get it, but get Damnation first as it's very unique. Oh and definatly order Still Life on line or something its phenominal, as is Orchid to a lesser degree.

bwp is an embodiment of what opeth are. It has enough of everything to satisfy and even though its not their best work I recommend it over damnation simply because you should start by listening to what they usually sound like, not what they felt like experimenting with for one record. Still Life and MAYH are their best I think, I like orchid slightly more then morningrise for the older style stuff, and deliverence is the weakest release in my opinion.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Blackwater Park is my personal fave. I fucking love it. Its heavy with many clean passages. Track 3 Harvest is all clean vocals. Track 7 Patterns In The Ivy is a short instrumental. The other 6 Tracks are all a mixture of heavy/mellow parts. You cant go wrong with any opeth album. They all kick arse. Damnation isn't really melodic (In the sense I think your talking of atleast). It's a mellow 70's esque progressive rock album. Really cool though. Stop wasting your time buying at a record store bro. Go to theendrecords.com they will satisfy all your metal loving needs. Free shipping! And you'll get your cd's within days. Why spend more money, have a limited selection, and go to a record store. When you can sit back, save money, and have all the cd's you want at your choosing? Give it a try. As far as still life and orchid go. They fucking rock! Glad you like the band's music. Good luck and take care of yourself! ;)
Jesus H Christ, are you fucking kidding me? Is this the same guy that used to post saying Metallica rule and Opeth are fucking shite? I can't believe the change in you, you're finally posting some good shit! Well done mate, although you used to be funnier! :headbang:

Back on topic - Blackwater Park has the best title track of any album ever, but it's a bit TOO mellow for me overall. It's probably my least favourite of Opeth's albums, apart from Damnation which I just don't even listen to any more.

Lol.. takingthemusicback.. Where have you been bro? I totally miss you posting on this forum! Life's been good eh? Yea over the course of the year I've been totally converted into an opethian. As for me losing my sense of humor. Sorry it's been an off week. See ya around, and don't be a stranger!