New Opeth song from upcoming album

Earlier tonight "Eternal Rains Will Come" appeared on YouTube. It vanished, and now someone else re-uploaded it.

I'm a strong believer in that it's been a shit period since D&D. I have written off GR, WS and Heritage. To me frankly, those three records were absolute garbage did nothing but damage the Opeth legacy.

This new material though, has me stunned. Whatever research Akerfeldt has done has finally galvanised into something very cohesive and of high standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-tsp9ItY-g

As for the lack of growls... whatever. I'm all for change, but for fucks sake Mikael, produce something decent or just go solo.

So... I personally feel that this new record - going off the impressions of this new song - could be the best thing Mikael has written since Still Life.

Very promising. I guess we'll find out soon enough. This song is incredible.

I liked heritage quite a bit, but dislike this track. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, nothing to point at that sounds "wrong" it just lacks inspiration. It's not beautiful enough to be a ballad, catchy enough to be a single type song, or heavy/dark enough for traditional Opeth fare...

Opeth have sucked ass since they stopped being Metal. They're just pop rock these days. This is pretty much the best thing they ever did:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kKNT3PdDkE&index=92&list=PLfiiLzUrOLTawfWfCKYy1T_Bo0L7P2oqV&shuffle=58[/ame]

Excellent track. For the haters, Opeth make better music than about 99% of the "true metal" bands out there today.

Lol metalum, you so crazy.

Feel free to list "true metal" bands that make better music than what Opeth has done lately. Just make sure you don't list any death metal or black metal band lest you lose all credibility.

I would rather listen to black and death metal that actually has artistic credibility... than Opeth who are basically "Check it out we stuck a 5/4 acoustic section, next to a 6/8 heavy section, next to a 4/4 chuggy riff SO PROG GUYS"

Neither black nor death metal have any sort of "artistic credibility". Black and death metal are about the worst thing that could ever happen to metal in general.

Neither black nor death metal have any sort of "artistic credibility". Black and death metal are about the worst thing that could ever happen to metal in general.

:O

What do you mean Black metal has no "artistic credibility" ? Can't you see the meaning of these pictures?

bm8.jpg

bm9.jpg

bm3.jpg

These are difinitely the pictures a real "artist" would go with!

you do realize that opeth came from death metal, yes? not that i really care, but im curious how you rationalize this. or does everything pre-heritage not have artistic credibility?

you do realize that opeth came from death metal, yes? not that i really care, but im curious how you rationalize this. or does everything pre-heritage not have artistic credibility?

You consider Damnation to be Death Metal? :Smug:

But yeah, early Opeth is labeled "Progressive Death Metal", so by saying Death Metal has no credibility, then you're technically saying Opeth has no credibility either...