New Paradise Lost sounding good (Jens Bogrens working his magic after all)

It's very "Shades of God" like, their kinda returning to their roots. So far, I like it after 1 listen.

I actually think it's much darker and doomier than Shades of God, I feel it is their most emotional and darkest album since Gothic really. I am loving it so far......the leads, the leads, the leads!!!!!!!!!epic!:headbang:

I think it's their most consistent album to date - it's almost like they're reclaiming a sound they pioneered but adding elements from their later era too. Really impressive performance by Greg Mackintosh, good to hear him playing more leads again.

Don't want to listen to it yet..but listened a bit. I'm impressed a bit here and there, but also not as impressed as I'd hoped.

Didn't like In Requiem very much, so this will probably be better though.

Katz will blow everything away no matter what it seems...
PL have stopped trying to evolve...(even if they seemed to have focus on it some years ago...)
They're just revolving around their old stuff...(not sure if that made sense..just wanted to use revolve with evolve..think it made sense..heh)

So, after having had time to listen to this album for a while now. (well, you guys probably have. I just got it some days ago no thanks to the mail)

I'm still not sure about it yet. There are some good points here and there, but like the former album there's a lot of stuff that is just "ok". Maybe too much.

Sure..it's possible it's a grower..at least some of it..

What's the problem with it being sofwareized? I fail to see the problem when the whole point of an album is how it sounds. I guess you don't like anything synth related?
I can understand the problem when you want to hear the same thing when they play it live..but even then it's no problem for me at least..cause live is a totally differen't no matter what. Sounds like a sound engineer problem. I don't like listening to metal in general live anymore..butbut.

You're far from alone about not liking the sound as I've seen on other forums how some dislike it. I would like to hear what productions you do like? Albums that stand out in particular I mean. It would be interesting to hear.

Damn late reply, heh, not lurking about too often.

Anyway, I love synths and I love digital production, for example NIN and Porcupine Tree have great digitally based productions.

The thing that bugs me about Bogrens production is that instruments that in fact would benefit of sounding alive are dead-cold-digital. Samples and whatnot can spice up and even save a production in all their digi-ness, but the sterile soundscape of Jens Bogren is still beyond me. However form a purely technical view point he is a skilled sound engineer and his procutions seem to go down well with a large number of ppl. So all power to him really, I just dont like his style. Andy Sneap is also fairly close to being to sterile, but he got some really nice bulk in his sound that never fails.

Productions I do like would be for example Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Its a very interesting soundscape and also in every way a unique production, yet its still highly user friendly, I never heard anyone being bugged about the way it sounds.

At first I didn't really find it at all exciting, then I sat down and finally after hearing 'Frailty' the whole album clicked for me. Damn I love that song...

It took a few listens for me as well, but I really like it now, 'I Remain', 'As Horizons End', 'Last Regret', 'First Light', 'In Truth'.. all great songs. The sound is really heavy as well, if I didn't know I wouldn't even guess it was a Bogren/Fascination Street production. It doesn't have the 'recognisable' JB/FS sound like Katatonia/Daylight Dies for instance. It definitely sounds less clean than other productions he did.

It took a few listens for me as well, but I really like it now, 'I Remain', 'As Horizons End', 'Last Regret', 'First Light', 'In Truth'.. all great songs. The sound is really heavy as well, if I didn't know I wouldn't even guess it was a Bogren/Fascination Street production. It doesn't have the 'recognisable' JB/FS sound like Katatonia/Daylight Dies for instance. It definitely sounds less clean than other productions he did.

Think that list of best songs might be my exact list too.

I don't really understand fully what kind of productions I like the best or dislike the most yet. I only know I love TGCD production. Interesting to hear LObsters view though. :)