New PERFECT CIRCLE album...

Bruni

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
Just listening to this new Perfect Circle album, and as I was listening to this cool album, I was thinking that if there was some heavy distortion on some of these tracks, they can easily pass for Katatonia songs, and even lyrically and song-title wise too (especially on songs like 'The Noose'), they could even pass as Jonas' prose (I mean, look at the song title, 'The Nurse Who Loved Me', bearing resemblance, lyrically and thematically, to a particular Katatonia song we all tend to love...)

Yeah !!!
I have also listened to this album all the day.
The new A Perfect Circle, is really beautiful, full of atmospheres and arrengements.
For the moment, the best one for me is "The nurse who loved me"
A great album...a musical pleasure !!! :)

IMO there's very little ressemblance to Katatonia's music in "The Thirteenth Step". The song "The Nurse who Loved Me" is a cover song, originally composed by a band called Failure. The Noose ...sounds like Katatonia..how??? Maynard James Keenan's way of writing lyrics is quite different from Jonas' approach. Much more abstract. Distinct differences thematically as well.

Don't get me wrong. I love the new APC album. It's different. Calm and beautiful, with the exception of a "traditional" songs like Pet and The Outsider.

i bought it too.very nice.i'm listening to it all day now.can't find any resemblance to katatonia except from the depressing atmosphere sometimes and the mood keenan's voice has which is quite similar to jonas' (i'm not saying they have the same voice.each of them is a god in his own way.)btw i very much like keenan's lyrics

I can see some similarities in guitar tone, production, vocals, etc.. (in comparison to viva) But they are two very different bands, The mood on 13th step is somewhat similar, a great album.

absolutely fantastic album!!! I have to admit i slightly didn't feel anything for it the couple of first listens and that left me dissapointed as hell, but i kept it cranked a few nights and then just now... BOOM!!! it just hooked and i found myself singing along and going "ahhh.. this part!!!" all over the album. love it.

In a way, I'd say 'The 13th step' sounds a little more like a Tool-album than 'Mer de noms'. You know, it has a few more edges & is a bit more technical, but it sure rocks! I saw A Perfect Circle & Deftones live yesterday - what a gig!

I just got it and it´s sinking in some great songs there, "The noose" is a real stand out early on, haven´t digested later half of it to much... I find "The Stranger" to be very Porcupine Treeish which is awesome.

wicked.. i bought 13th step a couple days ago, and i love it. has a kind of katatonic vibe if you listen for it, but i dont think it's too apparent.
i agree with joy of grief about the more toolish sounding music. good stuff though.. too bad i dont remember what the names of the songs are... i just know i like ... well... the whole album :)

omgomgomg, that's all i have to say about 13th step. its AMAZING, you can almost compare it with katatonia o_O.
when i started listening to APC it was my sister who introduced me to 'sleeping beauty' and 'judith', not to forget '3 libras'. that was what i had heard of them(well of course i knew about maynard) when we decided to travel all the way to london to see the deftones - APC show. it was strange when i realized APC was a lot better than deftones, at least live, and the CD didnt prove me wrong and couldn't have been better in my opinion. it makes me sad, it makes me happy, and it makes me kinda depressed(in a good way).

a stranger is my fav... but i really like pretty much all the songs

peace out ^_^