new Power Metal band - Forever's Edge

usaprogmusic

ProgPowerGRRL
Debuting this year is a new power metal band, Forever’s Edge, from New York/New Jersey, formed by guitarist Salvatore Pisano, and including keyboardist Mike Khalilov (EMPYREON, REVOLUTION RENAISSANCE), singer Clay Barton (SUSPYRE), bassist Andrew Distabile (SUSPYRE), and drummer Frank Godla (EMPYREON, DIVIDING LIGHT). Female vocals are done by Sharon MacPherson. Their first album “Chaotic Silence” will be released on July 13, 2010 through Nightmare Records & Distribution. It is now available through digital retailers iTunes and Amazon.com. You can find samples of their songs on their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/ForeversEdgeUS

“Chaotic Silence” showcases the usual power metal formula with a touch of progressive orchestration by Gregg Rossetti (SUSPYRE). The album was produced and mixed at Erypsus Studios in Flemington, New Jersey.

Sal Pisano gives us insight into the album’s creation, “Chaotic Silence is an overture, not simply of music but of life. Conceptual, it is a collection of stories that metaphorically create a semblance of experiences we as people go through: triumph, dissatisfaction, mourning, joy, love, and hate.”

“The albums creation itself is an actual evolution. Some songs in there can be traced back to when I was first beginning to play guitar, and wrote a song way back in 2004. And some songs are as fresh as 2008. The album progressed musically as I progressed musically. Plus a good portion of the album was written when I underwent a very dark and not so joyous time. You can hear it in the music. I love to use metaphors and create characters, the literal meaning is still there and some will be able to tell what it's all about.”

Track Listing includes:

1. Our Hopes, Our Dreams
2. Everlost
3. Demon Creation
4. Divide In I
5. In The Dark
6. Mourning Star - Forever and Never
7. Damnation - We Rise
8. The Epiphany of Music
9. Endlessly
10. Closed Eyes

Forever’s Edge will be opening for Sonata Arctica at Gramercy Theater in New York City on April 5, 2010.

I like the music. However, just like with Suspyre, the orchestrations and some melodies are way too much like Symphony X. This is promising, but it needs a little bit more personality in my opinion.

Oh, and one more comment. Clay sounds great.

I like the music. However, just like with Suspyre, the orchestrations and some melodies are way too much like Symphony X. This is promising, but it needs a little bit more personality in my opinion.

Well Sal is the poster boy for the Symphony X fan if you've ever met him.

Clay is definitely coming into his own as a great metal singer. I think you'll be hearing a lot more from him in the coming years...I have high expectations for his singing career and I am not even his manager anymore :)

Glad you all are liking the music! It was fun to help produce this album.

And I think Symphony X melodies are way too much like Suspyre, heh.

I've read some interesting musicology articles on this; people always relate music to something they've heard before. When I first heard Symphony X, I though "wow, it sounds like something I'd write!" Similar styles of music can form completely apart from one another and sound shockingly similar.

If you trace it back - all these bands are fundamentally influenced by film scores, whose music was a direct result of the symphonies of Mahler, who thought he was the reincarnation of Beethoven, who was highly inspired by the age of Enlightenment and the Illuminati.

Hmmm. :Smug:

I couldn't agree with Gregg more. For anyone who doesn't know I am Sal Pisano the guitarist of this band. And I wrote the majority of the album ( along side everyone else ofcourse ) and well.. yes I do love Russ's voice I would never go gay for any man haha.. But I do happen to be a very very big Symphony X fan.

Personally, when I was told we sound like Symphony X I was flattered. It could be worse, if someone could say.. Hey your guitar playing is like Kiko Loureiro, i'd like that better than WOAH you sound like Head & Munky from Korn. So I am pretty stoked to be compared to my favorite band. If some were to argue originality. I don't say it to defend my band, but rather to defend Symphony x. I really don't think we share any similarities what so ever.

Suspyre as well. What I believe is being similar is Clay & Russ have a very ballsy vocal style and attitude. But from a guy who wrote all the FE guitar parts. Knows a lot of Suspyre songs on guitar AND almost every Symphony X song. I can say musically none of these 3 bands are similar. It's just united by a similar vocal styling..

And not that I am on the defensive, I just think sometimes it's good to be like your roots. It's not a bad thing to show where you come from. I get told, Hey You are your mothers son. it isnt an insult at my originality. It's just an acknowledge of where youre coming from..

With that.. I hope you guys enjoy the album. I am very proud of it. And I feel honored to have worked and hope to continue to work with such amazing talents. Especially Gregg. Who despite Symphony X being my favorite band, Michael Romeo was not my guitar idol. Gregg is. So if it's anyone I would be trying to sound like, it'd be him haha.

- SP

I'll make sure to tune in and listen to it. Like I said before, the band's music is good and very promising. How did the show in NY go?

And as far as the comments made by Greg and Sal (regarding my original comment in this thread), I'll just respectfully disagree with some of what you guys said and drop the subject. I personally think you're getting way too defensive over a simple comment. Criticism will always be there, and having to explain yourself over every comment made about the band is just not necessary.

Anyways, keep up the good job. The music sounds good!!

I like the music. However, just like with Suspyre, the orchestrations and some melodies are way too much like Symphony X.

HA!

When I said two years ago that Suspyre sounds a lot like Symphony X, everyone on this board jumped down my throat. Now, not only are people flying my flag, but even the band members are agreeing with me.

It just goes to show how useless rampant fanboyism is. :)

BTW, Suspyre is great (they were especially incredible at Chicago Powerfest!) and this new band is, too. And they should be stoked that they have a built-in fanboybase on this board. :)

HA!

When I said two years ago that Suspyre sounds a lot like Symphony X, everyone on this board jumped down my throat. Now, not only are people flying my flag, but even the band members are agreeing with me.

BTW, Suspyre is great (they were especially incredible at Chicago Powerfest!) and this new band is, too. And they should be stoked that they have a built-in fanboybase on this board. :)

Interesting. I didn't know that happened (or just don't remember), otherwise I would've backed you up. The first time I actually listened to a whole Suspyre album and actually enjoyed it very much was the last album. I think that's because they finally were able to sound a little bit different (my opinion, obviously).

I am not sure, however, that they have so much of a fanbase on this board. I heard good things about their set at Powerfest. However, I wish I could say the same about the ProgPower show. I was looking forward to it, especially considering how much I liked their latest album. It turned out to be a slight disappointment.

HA!

I didn't say we sounded like Symphony X...I said when I heard Symphony X I was surprised that someone took my ideas. It's a slightly different point haha :loco:

As far as song arrangements go, we're nothing alike. The role of the guitar in Symphony X is more driving, thrashy, and metal. Suspyre's guitar parts (in general...since each album varies) are more melodic and our chord vocabulary is entirely different, and besides...there's at least two guitars in most of our music.
But anyway...I can see a comparison that we both have double bass grooves and orchestral parts happening simultaneously. Forever's Edge took that idea as well.

Glad you liked our show in Chicago - that was one of our better ones, despite having a plane fiasco on our way there. I was so motion-sick!

Interesting. I didn't know that happened, otherwise I would've totally backed you up. The first time I actually listened to a whole Suspyre album and actually enjoyed it very much was the last album. I think that's because they finally were able to sound a little bit different (my opinion, obviously).

I am not sure, however, that they have so much of a fanbase on this board. I heard good things about their set at Powerfest. However, I wish I could say the same about the ProgPower show. I was looking forward to it, especially considering how much I liked their latest album. It turned out to be a slight disappointment.

Love Suspyre on disc, but I was one of the more outspoken ones about their set at progpower's showcase. Maybe it was due to Future's End going before them or something else, but I just found it to be a little boring for some reason.

It's interesting with these Symphony X comparisons as they, along with Vanden Plas, are the top bands I've been meaning to get into but only have one cd from each band only.

I couldn't agree with Gregg more. For anyone who doesn't know I am Sal Pisano the guitarist of this band. And I wrote the majority of the album ( along side everyone else ofcourse ) and well.. yes I do love Russ's voice I would never go gay for any man haha.. But I do happen to be a very very big Symphony X fan.

Personally, when I was told we sound like Symphony X I was flattered. It could be worse, if someone could say.. Hey your guitar playing is like Kiko Loureiro, i'd like that better than WOAH you sound like Head & Munky from Korn. So I am pretty stoked to be compared to my favorite band. If some were to argue originality. I don't say it to defend my band, but rather to defend Symphony x. I really don't think we share any similarities what so ever.

Suspyre as well. What I believe is being similar is Clay & Russ have a very ballsy vocal style and attitude. But from a guy who wrote all the FE guitar parts. Knows a lot of Suspyre songs on guitar AND almost every Symphony X song. I can say musically none of these 3 bands are similar. It's just united by a similar vocal styling..

And not that I am on the defensive, I just think sometimes it's good to be like your roots. It's not a bad thing to show where you come from. I get told, Hey You are your mothers son. it isnt an insult at my originality. It's just an acknowledge of where youre coming from..

With that.. I hope you guys enjoy the album. I am very proud of it. And I feel honored to have worked and hope to continue to work with such amazing talents. Especially Gregg. Who despite Symphony X being my favorite band, Michael Romeo was not my guitar idol. Gregg is. So if it's anyone I would be trying to sound like, it'd be him haha.

- SP

Hey Sal.....well you know you guys have my support dude!:headbang:

A band doesn't sound like YOU when they were releasing it 10 years before YOU.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was going to post, but knowing what to expect, didn't even bothered. I wonder if a band like Dreamscape would ever say that in their opinion, Dream Theater sounds like Dreamscape (and not the other way around).

I may be picking up Forever's Edge though. I wanna see this band live.