New Rakoth review

From Urkraft Webzine

RAKOTH - PLANESHIFT
Elitist (Earache), 2002

Once in a while there comes along an extreme metal act with that extra special something to spice up the genre. Rakoth is one of them. Their blend of folkmusic and extreme metal may not be all that original (think Skyclad, Moonsorrow, Thyrfing etc) but it's still a welcome addition to the scene. It's hard to imagine that flutes and heavy guitars should be a so well suited couple but Rakoth's makes it go together perfect. "Like a glove!!!" as Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey) would have put it. One second I want to bang my head, the other I want to dance a jig. I fucking lovethe contrast!! As I've said a million times before at this here zine innovation is the key to success! Though I must confess that a look back from time to time isn't all bad either of course. To the point now. Everything is great about this album; from cover to layout to production to music. A solid release worthy of all the attention it may, and should, receive! Get it!

8/10

In The MEANTime fanzine: "Rakoth. Well, I don't know what to say. This is different. The opening track is an instrumental sounding like something you'd hear in the soundtrack to Lord Of The Rings. Piano, delicate horns, flutes and acoustic guitar, it could almost bring a tear to your eye. But before you grasp for the tissues track two kicks in with again, a soft delicate piano intro but then finally guitars and electric ones at that! I laughed when I first listened to this cos' at times I thought I was back watching the dance scene in the movie Titanic, but I must stress, only at times. Rakoth play what I'd call folk-metal crossed with black metal with a heavy Tolkien and gothic influence. It's almost too hard to describe. They formed in '96 and this CD was originally released in March 2000. In late 2001 they signed with Earache offspring label Elitist and re-mastered and released "Planeshift" once again as its debut on Elitist. Elitist is known for it's cutting edge, "different" metal bands and Rakoth certainly fit that mould. This is experimental, haunting and at times heavy in the style of classic black metal complete with evil black metal vocals and screeching, but then a daunting spoken voice interrupts and breaks the pace and ferocity. It's unique and definitely for those into new and experimental metal. Interesting."