New Riverside is...amazing!

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Damn...the new album from Riverside, Rapid Eye Movement, is perhaps superior to PT's FoaBP imo. I will surely be buying this one when it comes out.

The songs "Embryonic" and "Cybernetic Pillow" are a couple of the band's finest work to date yet, right up there with Conceiving You.

This is one album I recommend to anyone here.

I have the first two albums and their EP. "conceiving you" is indeed a great track, but the new album is a bit disappointing. Their sound doesn't evolve to anywhere...

Besides the tracks "out of myself," and "in two minds" they aren't much. Certainly no PT never were and never will be.

@Bluesky: Are you serious, man??? SW's vocals are no match for Duda's. SW has recently been annoying me with his whiny style for most of the time. That's just me.

The song Conceiving You is one of my all-time favourite songs - this song alone to me is better than anything PT has ever done. Now, as an overall band, perhaps PT is a little stronger because they also have much more material for one thing. But the few standout tracks from Riverside are definitely better than PT's best. And like I said before, I definitely enjoy Duda's voice more than SW's.

Stefan: I think BOTH Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome are better than the new one (I mean, how the hell do you top Second Life Syndrome anyway? Probably my favourite prog album ever) but that doesn't mean the third offering sucks.
Btw...The Curtain Falls is the best song off Out of Myself. Hehe.

I don't see how someone can like PT and not Riverside, though. To you guys I say, give it a chance...for sure. Some of the songs have a lot of stuff going on and can last for like 12+ minutes, so it'll surely have to grow on you. In fact, the new one even disappointed me at first...but wow does it get better.

Cheers!

@Bluesky: Are you serious, man??? SW's vocals are no match for Duda's. SW has recently been annoying me with his whiny style for most of the time. That's just me.
It is just you. Also I'll take anything PT has done on the last 6 records over anything riverside has to offer.

Riverside have one of the most unique sounds in modern music IMO.

:kickass: Cheers to that! Couldn't agree more, man. And the song you mentioned most definitely is great. Great vocals. Great production. Great songs.

As of right now, I can't seem to stop playing this album. It's like the underdog for me...most unlikely to be my fave yet it just may end up being that for this year.
The song TOTALLY growing on me right now is Schizophrenic Prayer - the guitarist in this band is becoming one of my favourites in any band and they sure sound great in this song.

I don't see how someone can like PT and not Riverside, though. To you guys I say, give it a chance...for sure.
Porcupine Tree is probably my favourite band for the last 2 and a half years and I love their last 6 albums to the death, but as I posted above, I gave Riverside several chances overtime, but it just didn't grab me. But I'll try some more later.

I gotta say that i think the new Riverside is pretty damn good. Someone on this forum(my apologies to whomever) posted some of their older songs which I found quite enjoyable. So I decided to pick up Rapid... and I'm glad I did.

@Tinus/Blue I do suggest that you give it another try.

@stefan 02 Panic Room does indeed kick some groovy arse.

@Alcapoth I'm digging the chorus on SP very much :)

i tried it but its just more of the same to me. SLS was alright, out of myself a little worse and this one just continues on. id prefer PT everytime. and whoever said riversides best songs are better than pt's... trains (as well as half pt's catalogue) > anything riverside will ever write.

Wow, I don't get what some people expect. What, PT's albums don't just....continue on? What does this mean? With Rapid Eye Movement, we just get more great music...I thought that'd be enough for people but I guess for some it isn't.

In any case, as of right now I actually think REM is on par if not superior even to SLS. To each their own, but Riverside just does it for me musically. They have style and and their music takes me places.

Biggsy: I respect your opinion on that. Before I heard Riverside I thought the same of PT and Trains (still one of the most amazing songs) but imo at least, not even that song can match the greatness of Conceiving You. I don't know, that song just speaks to me emotionally and like the lyrics and especially the zoned out guitar work.

Charon8: Haha, why am I not surprised with your comment? You have good taste in music man. Glad to hear you picked up the new album...I haven't even yet.
And yes, Schizophrenic Prayer is a damn good track. Right now, the top 5 for me is as follows:

1 Cybernetic Pillow (best song I heard all year - 3:08-4:45 - this is what music is all about for me. If this isn't good, I don't know what is.)
2 Embryonic
3 Through the other Side
4 02 Panic Room
5 Schizophrenic Prayer