Riverside - Second Life Syndrome is amazing

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
The new Riverside album Second Life Syndrome is absolutely amazing. Even better than their much appraised debut disc Out of Myself, I think their new one is darker and better written with a big focus. Also, it is less derivative. Gone are the obvious Anathema, Opeth and Porcupine Tree influences; the band is opting for a more defined sound of their own.

Here's my long review of the concept and music on Second Life Syndrome:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=2874

Has anyone else heard it?

Cheers!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Out Of Myself = Great
Voices In My Head EP = Better
Second Life Syndrome = ... Better? You bet.

a good trend i'd say.

Hey Silent Song,

Been reading your posts a lot recently. You're a cool dude with excellent taste in music. Also the fact that you're from London makes you an even better metal brother - I love that city. ;)

Seriously though, anyone likes Dan Swano, Zero Hour, Jorn Lande, and agrees that the new Riverside is huge amount of ass kickage rules!

Cheers!

Shit! I'm from the same city as the band and I cannot hear the new stuff yet - cause it's not even released here! :( 'Out of Myself' will be a touch match to beat, since it's the best polish album ever for me. I heard 2 new tracks from the single: 'Conceiving You' and 'Turned you down'... They're great but a bit too mellowed out, I hope there will be some metal parts on the album. Not too much, just a few like on the debut. Are my hopes too high? Please tell me if you know...

There are definetly some metal-parts on SLS, for example on Volte-Face and especially Artifical Smile.
At first listen i was a bit disapointed, but with a few more listen the album grows and i really like it now!

:Wreath: said:
Shit! I'm from the same city as the band and I cannot hear the new stuff yet - cause it's not even released here! :( 'Out of Myself' will be a touch match to beat, since it's the best polish album ever for me. I heard 2 new tracks from the single: 'Conceiving You' and 'Turned you down'... They're great but a bit too mellowed out, I hope there will be some metal parts on the album. Not too much, just a few like on the debut. Are my hopes too high? Please tell me if you know...
For me, Second Life Syndrome is much better than Out of Myself. It has a bigger focus and more defined songwriting to it. It is quite heavy in places as well. You'll be surprised when you hear Duda's semi-growled vocal lines too.

Well he got some growls here and there on Out of Myself too... It's good to hear that they still have their heavy side as well, it makes me anxious to hear the new album :D Thanks for your responses!

Love the first one. The new one hasn't really struck a chord with me yet. I've sat down with it a couple times, and it always seems to lose my attention. I suspec it's the type of disc I may need to muddle through a few times, before I wrap my mind around it.

Zod

Damn! It's good to hear that a polish band is well known worldwide... And it's not called Vader or Behemoth ;)

x--|SerenityPaintedDeath|--x said:
Track Listing
1) The Same River
2) Out of Myself
3) I Believe
4) Reality Dream
5) Loose Heart
6) Reality Dream II
7) In Two Minds
8) The Curtain Falls
9) OK

hmm...
Did you even read the review? I just the Opeth influence is gone on the NEW Riverside disc. We all know about Anathema and Porcupine Tree on the first album.