When Day Descends: Instrumental Opeth-like band?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Well, here's the deal.

How many times have you met someone who you had listen to Opeth thinking they would be at least as impressed as you were only to hear the same answer from them:

"Well, it sounds good, but I can't stand the growls. I love the music, it's really good. I wish he just didn't do those cookie cutters."

Then you may have wanted to spank them or kick them in the face for not "getting it" you know, or whatever.

Anyway, I just discovered this amazing self-released album titled Transcend by a one-man project called When Day Descends. That small island south of Australia, Tasmania, has produced a great band.

I just reviewed the album here drawing the influences and inspirations. No, he's not a clone or anything. Far from it. This is intense and original, but I get the "Opeth feel" and some nice Opethian riffs here and there. It's like Opeth and Porcupine Tree with more ambience and no vocals.

Don't believe me? Go to their site and hear for yourself.

Come back and comment.

EDIT: New interview with Dave Caswell done on Sea of Tranquility.

Yeah, some time ago, I found a link to his website in the "Post your own music recordings here" section of this messageboard and I've to say the music of When Day Descends is amazing!!!!

i live in tas, about 5 mins drive from where this guy live's and ive had his music for a while now, its fucking cool. did you know that the drums are programmed? i reckon they sound so good, just like someone is actually playing.

When Day Descends rules. especially Discovery.

I concur the drums sound amazing, but I did guess they were programmed. I am so pleased with the acoustic guitar sound and song arrangements on this disc. The guy is truly talented and needs to be heard.

Has anyone else checked his stuff out?

wow. amazing stuff. i love every minute of it, thank you so much! the guitars are great, and even though the drums are programmed i can still really appreciate this guy's songwriting abilities.

thanks a lot dude this is great

Damn. . .This really is as good as you said it was. . .Wonder if Mike knows about this band. Regardless, this is fucking awesome. Thanks!

:)

Thanks for all the comments, Opeth are obviously a big influence for me so it's nice to appeal to their fans.

And I highly doubt Mike knows about my project, actually few people do at this stage

Dave, I just wanted to let you know that Adaptive is incredible. I listened to all 4 of the mp3s on the site, and think every one of them are great, but Adaptive is simply wonderful. The solo starting around 7:15 is wonderful, so expressive and textural through the 7:30 mark. The following section I also love, although this part of course does remind me very much of Opeth.

I hope that Mikael has heard your stuff, hopefully this board will help that.

Not to talk about the Opeth influence too much, but what I think is wonderful of the way you incorporate it is that you have parts which remind me of Orchid/Morningrise and then other which feature the later (MYAH, SL, BWP, etc.) sound of Opeth, and then there are parts which have that feel simultaneously for me, where I hear both sounds but at the same time they sound new and "of Opeth" but not "like Opeth" if that makes any sense.

Wow, seriously. This song has become one of my favorite metal/guitar-oriented instrumentals ever. Beautiful music. Have you thought about a download option for the album? Also, what equipment/programs do you use? As a musician I would love to know.

GREAT stuff! Amazing! The sound is professional, though programmed drums always lack something that a real drummer has... but I am also in a situation where I must program drums to my songs myself, so I understand that it's not always possible to use a real drummer. This guy deserves recognition as a player, a composer and a producer/mixer.

I'll put some of my own recordings here soon, probably instrumental versions because I haven't had the time to record vocals yet.

Some one-man-freakin-instrumental-progressive-atmospheric-metal-project from Tasmania ? GREAT !

Some acoustic parts reminds a lot of morningrise. Really amazing work !! For something similar but kinda heavier one should try Isis - Panopticon !!!
Kick some real ass !!!

Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope he will get out of the island soon !!

wow.
I am really impressed by this. and i'm not easily impressed. it's sad that such talent goes unnoticed.
fucking props.

Cheers guys, i appreciate the support! What's with all the Isis influence people are pulling out? hehe, i love them, but i thought only my newer stuff i havent released had noticeable similarities.

@Autumnal: I hadn't considered a download option, perhaps i will at a later date but not for now. Equipment is listed in a bit more detail on my site and in my own forum, but briefly: Ibanez Jem 777 VBK, Maton acoustic, Antonio Lorca classical, V-Amp Pro, Yorkville Ysm1p reference monitors, Rode NT2000 mic, Bellman Bass... i think that covers the important parts. I'm not drowning in gear but i'm extremely happy with what i do have.

@annt: I'm pretty much a hack as a producer/mixer, hehe. I didnt mix suppression anyway, but i did mix those demos and they're all far from perfect. But I'm getting there gradually, mixing is damn tough. Listened to your mp3 and thought it was quite cool, your ideas were really nice. Could certainly hear an Opeth influence in there too. Keep it up.

@forabsentfriends: hopefully the 'noticing' thats happened over the past few days is a sign of things to come!

thanks again everyone :)