When Day Descends - Suppression, opinions wanted!

Impy

Impale/Exhale
Jan 21, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
www.sepiadreamer.tk
Hey guys, i was wondering if you could give me some opinions on a song off the soon to be released When Day Descends album Transcend.
I didn't record the album, it was all recorded by Dave Caswell who is the sole member of When Day Descends, i mixed and co-produced it and it was mastered by Peter in de Betou at Tailor Maid in Stockholm, Sweden.

The song, Suppression, is a 192k .mp3 at around 12mb, it's 8:30 long.

http://www.whendaydescends.com/mp3/when_day_descends_-_suppression.mp3

Some tech specs:

The acoustics are a blend of the DI and and the miked track which was miked with a Røde NT2000. I had to put some of the DI signal in em to get em to cut through. The distorted guitars are a Behringer V-Amp (unfortunately it had some prerecorded effects on it but i managed to work around that pretty well). Drums are DFH and DFHS. Everything else is VST instruments, can't remember exactly what was used.

Thanks in advance!

PS. the first 2 minutes are supposed to be somewhat muffled, just so we're all clear on that :)

NathanSoulfracture said:
sounds good to me, maybe a bit more 'verb on the drums to make it sound a bit bigger maybe? apart from that its good, the song is good too.

Not having that much verb on the drums was a conscious choice, i didn't want that huge sound, i felt it made the mix too muddy and some instruments got buried somewhat by it.

Sounds also superb to me. I like this 70s-80s prog rock style music. Im a big Flower Kings fan. Don't change a bit. It sounds very unique.

Btw. Do you know now a free webserver where i can load up my stuff an deeplink it?

Thanks a lot!
And nothing will be changed since it's already been mastered and everything :)

You could try www.50megs.com
I think they let you deeplink and you get 50megs of space (obviously).
Don't use it for a webpage tho cause you get big banners and stuff on your site, just use it to have your files on.

Sounds good! very good!!

I really, really like the acoustiscs... very clean...

The drums sound good to me.. and it feels progressive, i like that.. was it hard to record a piece like this, Impy?

Also, what did you use for those choirs? symphony of voices? or symphonic choirs?