New sample up

Nitronium Blood said:
I was not aware of that.

Thank you for correcting me.

I apologise for any disrespectful words.
well, if one ONLY used samples there would be no need for mics, now would there? triggers would suffice. now go ye unto the desert and stand on your head upon a camel's back for 30 days and nights, flagellating yourself 50 times at the top of each hour about the face, neck, and torso with a cat-'o-nine-tails, to earn your penance.... or just fuhgedabowdit, whichever. :tickled:

James Murphy said:
well, if one ONLY used samples there would be no need for mics, now would there? triggers would suffice. now go ye unto the desert and stand on your head upon a camel's back for 30 days and nights, flagellating yourself 50 times at the top of each hour about the face, neck, and torso with a cat-'o-nine-tails, to earn your penance.... or just fuhgedabowdit, whichever. :tickled:
I just had this incorrect impression that triggering and samples were how it was done.

And as for the penance thing... THAT CAMEL IS DRIVING ME INSANE! :D

the D Drum is just used for monitoring during tracking, so Van gets a consistant top end on his kicks, I'm not even recording it, just monitoring through an aux input. Snare trigger is being used to open the snare gate during tracking.

Andy Sneap said:
the D Drum is just used for monitoring during tracking, so Van gets a consistant top end on his kicks, I'm not even recording it, just monitoring through an aux input. Snare trigger is being used to open the snare gate during tracking.
You running the trigger through the side chain of the gate? What gate is it hardware or a plugin?

yes.. he does record the snare. he's using the technique by which he"mults" the trigger "splat" (the actual sound that comes from a hardware trigger device like the ddrum ones you see on the kicks and snare in the pics he posted of Van's kit) into the key input (also called sidechain) of the gate he has the actual acoustic snare going through. in this way the trigger splat opens the gate exactly when the snare is played.

part of the trouble understanding his statement is, i think, that the word "trigger" is often misused and misunderstood. too many times i hear people say something like,"i hear triggers on the kicks" when they are listening to an album.... but what they are really hearing is, of course, a sample . if they were actually hearing the triggers they would be hearing the splats, which sound like a "bleep" or "chirping" noise.... and that wouldn't be very nice to hear on an album at all, would it? :erk:

thanks to andy again for sharing. :cool:

Matt Smith said:
Wow, gating on the way in. I would never have the courage to try that. Andy's the man.
And I guess that answers my question about hat bleed with the condensor on the snare. ;)
i'm not saying that he doesn't record the un-gated snare. hey may very well be doing that as well. he'll have to tell us himself. but you know, the fears you have of recording gated snare are mostly addressed with the technique Andy is using that i spoke of in my previous post... with the trigger splats keying the gate it's much less of a gamble.

I don't think he does record the gated snare. Actually I'm pretty sure he doesn't ! That would be too risky ! In my opinion he does it only for monitoring purposes (so that the drummer has a great sound when recording, hence being more confident and playing even better).

The reasons for not recording the gated snare (or at least keeping the un-gated snare) would be that even with the trigger opening the snare gate, you would miss a ms or maybe more of the snare's attack, which would be uncool (I'm not even talking about double hits or missed hits). Also, for the gate to be smooth, maybe a few milliseconds attack time could be nice (very short fade in). And finally, I remember Andy saying that he places the "trigger gate-opener" (output of the trigger) a few milliseconds forward (earlier) during the mix, which would be impossible in real time.

Anyway, I personnaly do follow this procedure when mixing, or when the snare is a bit tricky to gate and it works well, though I'm not recording any trigger signal at the tracking stage - I trig it afterwards with KTDrumTrigger because I don't have enough inputs to do this yet, and also I don't have a trig module... Then I put a midi gate on the snare tracks, opened by my "post-trig" result.

But I could be wrong and maybe Andy likes russian-roulette !!! :) Let's hope Andy will find a minute or two to answer to this.

no, I'm not gating on the way in,its just for monitoring. I'll record the splat/trigger/whatever as its actually cool really compressed and mixed in with the original snare to give it a bit of extra crack.

Andy Sneap said:
no, I'm not gating on the way in,its just for monitoring. I'll record the splat/trigger/whatever as its actually cool really compressed and mixed in with the original snare to give it a bit of extra crack.

Ha! I stumbled upon that by accident one day and thought the same thing.

Andy Sneap said:
and there we have it. i'm interested now to try mixing in the trigger sound.

:headbang: