New site any time soon?

Carloz

Feb 10, 2006
Hi there,

It's been already since the release of Paradise Lost that the new website is in the making, but the old one is still there. It'd be great to have a site where the guys could easily put new stuff themselves, keeping it a bit more up to date at all times. So are there any news regarding the new site, Jax?:)

Greets

Maybe we should take the initiative and create a fan run website, one which would be much more organized, newer, and better than the official site.

Been playing around with HTML5 and CSS3 a lot lately and could think up of some awesome ideas.

Just shows how the people working for the band in the online world don't give much of a shit about the band. If they did, it wouldn't be a month after the release of the cd and still no new website as promised. That after a non-existant promotional campaign for the album (up until about a month before the release anyway). Very unprofessional. Get mad at this post if you wish, but it's the truth - every other band of this stature has a more professional team willing to work for them. I also hate the excuse "Oh we've been so busy..." because that's a bunch of crap. This is a bigger band signed onto a bigger label with an online team that rivals that of a shitty unknown band. Symphony X is amazing and has amazing fans that deserve better than this. I think it's also a burden on the band gaining popularity.

Oh and CantoX: I think that's an awesome idea. Let the fans take over! I bet we could do a better job.

Just shows how the people working for the band in the online world don't give much of a shit about the band. If they did, it wouldn't be a month after the release of the cd and still no new website as promised. That after a non-existant promotional campaign for the album (up until about a month before the release anyway). Very unprofessional. Get mad at this post if you wish, but it's the truth - every other band of this stature has a more professional team willing to work for them. I also hate the excuse "Oh we've been so busy..." because that's a bunch of crap. This is a bigger band signed onto a bigger label with an online team that rivals that of a shitty unknown band. Symphony X is amazing and has amazing fans that deserve better than this. I think it's also a burden on the band gaining popularity.

I'm not affiliated with the website at all, Just the forum & the mailing lists, and have been for years. In the old days, there were just a couple people who took care of ALL of the band's online presence. As the band has gotten "bigger", there are more players involved, most notably record companies and band management. Perhaps rather than slag the online people who maintain what is out on the web, you should direct your vitriol towards some of the others on the team. Jax, Glenn, & I have addressed this before, back when people were complaining about lack of updates....It ain't like it used to be, there are MANY more players involved, and it's a lot more complicated than it used to be. Not making excuses, just simply stating facts. I suggest if you make any attempt to contact the rest of the team, you soften your tone a bit. If you want to start slinging shit, I will personally remove you from here. I do agree that they are lagging behind with the website, but perhaps Jax may have some insight with what progress is, or isn't being made. Fair enough?

I think most people here would agree that you, Jax and Glenn do a good job with merch and forums. The problem is everything else, made by these mysterious label-people we don't even know who they are. An amateur could throw together a good-looking, functional, informative, interactive website in a week.

I don't know who's to blame, but Symphony X has to be the worst promoted band on the planet. Not only is their website outdated, the five year hiatuses preceding the last two releases is very detrimental. Paradise Lost was obviously an album that gained them a lot of new fans and they didn't keep the momentum going.

Just saw this on their facebook page:

Just got a peek at the new SymX website.. looks pretty sweet! Should be ready to launch very soon! :D
-Jax :)

Lol. I'm still totally creating a unofficial website. Finally found a good framework and I'm going to throw some cool stuff into it. Will post link when finished.

Just saw this on their facebook page:

Just got a peek at the new SymX website.. looks pretty sweet! Should be ready to launch very soon! :D
-Jax :)

Lol. I'm still totally creating a unofficial website. Finally found a good framework and I'm going to throw some cool stuff into it. Will post link when finished.

Five years later...

I'm not affiliated with the website at all, Just the forum & the mailing lists, and have been for years. In the old days, there were just a couple people who took care of ALL of the band's online presence. As the band has gotten "bigger", there are more players involved, most notably record companies and band management. Perhaps rather than slag the online people who maintain what is out on the web, you should direct your vitriol towards some of the others on the team. Jax, Glenn, & I have addressed this before, back when people were complaining about lack of updates....It ain't like it used to be, there are MANY more players involved, and it's a lot more complicated than it used to be. Not making excuses, just simply stating facts. I suggest if you make any attempt to contact the rest of the team, you soften your tone a bit. If you want to start slinging shit, I will personally remove you from here. I do agree that they are lagging behind with the website, but perhaps Jax may have some insight with what progress is, or isn't being made. Fair enough?

Just because I'm stating my opinion (which is also the opinion of many people on this forum) doesn't mean you need to threaten me with removal from the forum... that is also very unprofessional - this is a forum, where people discuss their opinions (and you can't really believe that what I'm posting is anywhere close to the shit that some people do here). We're all here for the benefit of Symphony X, and there are plenty of us on this forum that I think could do a better job than what's been done. Not saying you personally are doing a bad job, your sector is fine. I do, however, refuse to believe Nuclear Blast 100% to blame for the lack of updates and promotion. They are a very good label and I know that they are good to their bands. This is probably the worst I've seen from a band in the online world in general - Major or Indie. Sure, there may be plenty of blame to go around - but regardless, that just shows a lack of communication between the guys running this. People should not think that this lack of effort is acceptable - Symphony X and their fans deserve much better.

Just because I'm stating my opinion (which is also the opinion of many people on this forum) doesn't mean you need to threaten me with removal from the forum... that is also very unprofessional - this is a forum, where people discuss their opinions (and you can't really believe that what I'm posting is anywhere close to the shit that some people do here). We're all here for the benefit of Symphony X, and there are plenty of us on this forum that I think could do a better job than what's been done. Not saying you personally are doing a bad job, your sector is fine. I do, however, refuse to believe Nuclear Blast 100% to blame for the lack of updates and promotion. They are a very good label and I know that they are good to their bands. This is probably the worst I've seen from a band in the online world in general - Major or Indie. Sure, there may be plenty of blame to go around - but regardless, that just shows a lack of communication between the guys running this. People should not think that this lack of effort is acceptable - Symphony X and their fans deserve much better.

It's not stating your opinions that is leading to trouble, it's taking shots at those who run this place via "This is a bigger band signed onto a bigger label with an online team that rivals that of a shitty unknown band." You want to take shots at the webmaster, then be specific. Coming into Sy-X's forum and making a blanket statement like I quoted above isn't going to get you rewarded with any further dialog, nor is it going to contribute to the tolerance of your posts. This is a moderated forum, like it or not, there are only a few guidelines (read them), none of which squelch your "opinions".

You can refuse to believe what you choose to, but the system of checks and balances used to be just Jax & MJR, it is signifigantly more complicated due to more people bing involved. Again, I DO agree that that there should have been a re-design of the website by now, and I have no idea what is holding that up as of this writing. Bottom line is if you have a complaint, address it specifically, don't throw out blanket statements. Had you done that initially, we wouldn't be having this conversation......

I may be wrong but I think I remember Jax responding to someone else asking about the new website a few weeks ago. I remember her saying something about the guy who does it was having some rough family problems like a death in the family or something like that.

I may be wrong but I think I remember Jax responding to someone else asking about the new website a few weeks ago. I remember her saying something about the guy who does it was having some rough family problems like a death in the family or something like that.

It doesn't ring a bell, but you may be right, will do some searching and see what I can find...

There is always a reason why things don't get done. That is fine. The bottom line is the end result. In this case, the website says - "Paradise Lost IN STORES NOW" as the top news story. The discography doesn't have Paradise Lost OR Iconoclast. These are basic things that should be done in order to PROPERLY run the band as a business. As of now, the website gives the impression that the band is defunct. I can't even find the word "Iconoclast" on their main index page.

I know there are reasons for it - but there always seems to be reasons and excuses. Not blaming anyone. I just have a "this is why we can't have nice things" mentality. MANY prog bands in the same scene have no problem updating their site, posting photos of studio sessions, and giving fans the impression that they are alive and well.

So when people say, "Symphony X has absolute horrible online presence," how can you argue with that? They do. It's awful. Worst I have seen from a major label act. It isn't a dig on anyone in particular, it is just the facts.

I don't think the fans necessarily deserve better - I think the band deserves better.

And remember, we were promised a new website back when they signed with Nuclear Blast. And photos of the recording sessions. My advice is to NOT tell the fans what you are gonna do. Just do it, so that everyone is pleasantly surprised.

At least we know that Paradise Lost is in stores now.

You're right she did mention that, and that was nice on "whoever is in charge" 's part. But, with all due respect, this needs to be run less like a family and more like a business. Someone else should have been hired (at least temporarily), deadlines set and respected, with the new website being up and running by the official new album's release date if not earlier.

Edit: Any clues on who these "mystery people involved" might be? Is it the label? Whoever they are, perhaps we should send them an email or something in which we demand better and more competent online representation of the band. So far the only good thing I personally see going on as far as this is concerned is the activity of the band's facebook page and the active moderation of this forum. The band's own website is so outdated, and so is the mailing list (yahoo groups? seriously?), not to mention online promotion and frequency of updates. This can all be fixed if these "mystery people" paid some more attention.

There is always a reason why things don't get done. That is fine. The bottom line is the end result. In this case, the website says - "Paradise Lost IN STORES NOW" as the top news story. The discography doesn't have Paradise Lost OR Iconoclast. These are basic things that should be done in order to PROPERLY run the band as a business. As of now, the website gives the impression that the band is defunct. I can't even find the word "Iconoclast" on their main index page.

I know there are reasons for it - but there always seems to be reasons and excuses. Not blaming anyone. I just have a "this is why we can't have nice things" mentality. MANY prog bands in the same scene have no problem updating their site, posting photos of studio sessions, and giving fans the impression that they are alive and well.

So when people say, "Symphony X has absolute horrible online presence," how can you argue with that? They do. It's awful. Worst I have seen from a major label act. It isn't a dig on anyone in particular, it is just the facts.

I don't think the fans necessarily deserve better - I think the band deserves better.

And remember, we were promised a new website back when they signed with Nuclear Blast. And photos of the recording sessions. My advice is to NOT tell the fans what you are gonna do. Just do it, so that everyone is pleasantly surprised.

At least we know that Paradise Lost is in stores now.

^This