New site any time soon?

Ugh this forum has slowed down so much because of this. I'm seeing like under 5 posts a day - very sad.

Actually, I'd say the site's slowed down because there's nothing left to talk about. It's not like a new website is suddenly going to bring up 100 new things to talk about.

Just read this from Symphony X on twitter: The new website has gotten the green light from MJR & is being fine tuned before launch.. won't be long now!

I'm surprised that in this day and age record labels still have the clout to have control over the content of a band's website, especially with a band like Symphony X. It's one thing if Warner Brothers shells out a mammoth deal to Selena Gomez and image is everything so they have their team of marketing and PR personnel keeping tabs on all public communications; but with an established band like Symphony X where the inflows are extremely predictable, I'm surprised more bands don't fight for control of their website.

It used to be the case that a band would surrender its life to a record label because otherwise marketing, production and distribution were simply not possible. Now, instead of CDs, music is mostly conveyed via virtually costless digital means, graphic and web design programs make it so even a novice can quickly and effectively create promotional material, and music can be downloaded from online stores. In other words, the service record labels provide is not nearly as valuable now; if you have a good product, you should be able to sell it on your own. Symphony X already has their own recording environment and equipment and largely produces their own music...so why surrender control of a website to a label when you have way more clout than that?

It isn't as though Nuclear Blast is going to provide Symphony X with some amazing service that doubles their fan base. Tour support, I guess. I suppose when you get to the stage Symphony X is at now, any long term deal you can get with a label is nice and safe, and if you are simply concerned with minimizing risk and making sure money rolls in, sure, give up some of your rights in the marketing department. But Symphony X is also to a point where they could walk up to any record label, show their resume, and say "look, this is about how much money we will generate per album, here are OUR terms, here is what we need from a label."

A prog/power metal band like Symphony X has such a low standard deviation of returns. Is the core audience gonna buy the new album? Yes. Are they going to explode into the mainstream with a hit single? No. Is their fan base going to grow slowly but consistently and eventually level off? Yes. I mean, this band would have to do something way out of left field to alter their trajectory.

Just my two cents. Unless NB is providing something I'm not thinking of, I personally would have fought for the right to have control over the band's official website.

I'm surprised that in this day and age record labels still have the clout to have control over the content of a band's website, especially with a band like Symphony X. It's one thing if Warner Brothers shells out a mammoth deal to Selena Gomez and image is everything so they have their team of marketing and PR personnel keeping tabs on all public communications; but with an established band like Symphony X where the inflows are extremely predictable, I'm surprised more bands don't fight for control of their website.

It used to be the case that a band would surrender its life to a record label because otherwise marketing, production and distribution were simply not possible. Now, instead of CDs, music is mostly conveyed via virtually costless digital means, graphic and web design programs make it so even a novice can quickly and effectively create promotional material, and music can be downloaded from online stores. In other words, the service record labels provide is not nearly as valuable now; if you have a good product, you should be able to sell it on your own. Symphony X already has their own recording environment and equipment and largely produces their own music...so why surrender control of a website to a label when you have way more clout than that?

It isn't as though Nuclear Blast is going to provide Symphony X with some amazing service that doubles their fan base. Tour support, I guess. I suppose when you get to the stage Symphony X is at now, any long term deal you can get with a label is nice and safe, and if you are simply concerned with minimizing risk and making sure money rolls in, sure, give up some of your rights in the marketing department. But Symphony X is also to a point where they could walk up to any record label, show their resume, and say "look, this is about how much money we will generate per album, here are OUR terms, here is what we need from a label."

A prog/power metal band like Symphony X has such a low standard deviation of returns. Is the core audience gonna buy the new album? Yes. Are they going to explode into the mainstream with a hit single? No. Is their fan base going to grow slowly but consistently and eventually level off? Yes. I mean, this band would have to do something way out of left field to alter their trajectory.

Just my two cents. Unless NB is providing something I'm not thinking of, I personally would have fought for the right to have control over the band's official website.

I am almost positive that it has nothing to do with NB. If it does, then SX is the only band on their roster getting the short end of the stick. NB is pretty big with their online presence, lots of daily tweets and updates and stuff like that. Why would they not allow Symphony X to have a modern updated website? If anything, NB is probably like "damn...these guys need to update their site. Paradise Lost in stores now??? Pfff."

When SX was with InsideOut...same thing. It's them. Gotta love them, but they are lazy with their site. While I am sure that NB and other labels monitor/help fund the sites, I see too many personal notes and messages from mainstream acts signed to big labels to believe that NB is preventing SX from updating their horrendously out of date website.

And I think we got a "MJR greenlights the new site," not "NB greenlights the new site."

but how could it possibly be the band's fault? the process is "complicated" remember? lol

I am almost positive that it has nothing to do with NB. If it does, then SX is the only band on their roster getting the short end of the stick. NB is pretty big with their online presence, lots of daily tweets and updates and stuff like that. Why would they not allow Symphony X to have a modern updated website? If anything, NB is probably like "damn...these guys need to update their site. Paradise Lost in stores now??? Pfff."

When SX was with InsideOut...same thing. It's them. Gotta love them, but they are lazy with their site. While I am sure that NB and other labels monitor/help fund the sites, I see too many personal notes and messages from mainstream acts signed to big labels to believe that NB is preventing SX from updating their horrendously out of date website.

And I think we got a "MJR greenlights the new site," not "NB greenlights the new site."

I agree with you. Just look at, for example, Pain of Salvation's website, which was first hacked, then re-built in a lighter version. This doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that they DO have a weebsite up and running. Nowadays, it doesn't take that much to assemble a decent website. It's definitely them, maybe they don't really care that much, it's out of doubt that they have done a lot of wrong (IMO) choices in their relationship with fans, not so much for the old fan-base, but to the new ones. Veeeery bad self-management, it's a pity.

I just thought it was quite interesting that they said MJR approved the new site and it hasn't gone up yet. I would have assumed that once approved it would be launched shortly after like after 10min or atleast the same day.

I just thought it was quite interesting that they said MJR approved the new site and it hasn't gone up yet. I would have assumed that once approved it would be launched shortly after like after 10min or atleast the same day.

He may have approved mock-ups or JPEGs, and the work of recoding the pages into properly compliant HTML (or Flash) is currently under way. This is just a total wild guess on my part....

No it doesn't the site can most likely be put together in a day but its the snags you run into on the way. But to say its been approved and then not launch is just frustrating. Kind of like an album release getting pushed back 3 times, but SX doesn't do that...