New Snazzy 4x12 Day (Go-faster stripes for extra tone)

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Evening chaps,

This afternoon I went over to the new and improved Zilla workshop (they recently relocated to a much bigger place just outside Bristol) to pick up a 4x12 that I've been rather excited about. I asked Paul if he could do a racing stripe like that of a Dodge Viper and he was happy to oblige. I think the end result is rather excellent!

ZILLA3.jpg

ZILLA5.jpg

ZILLA4.jpg

ZILLA6.jpg

photo.jpg

Paul and I discussed specs, but he has also surprised me with some very cool features of his own that he put in there too.
Firstly, as agreed, the cab has an x-pattern of two Vintage 30s, and two Celestion Lynchbacks, but Paul has wired them up so that in addition to regular "all-four-speakers" operation, you can choose to run each pair of speakers independently - using the white input provides normal mono operation, using the black input gives you V30s only, and using the white input with a dummy cable plugged into other gives you Lynchbacks only (plugging a separate source into each input gives you "stereo" operation, but since the speakers are in an x-pattern it won't exactly sound stereo).
Secondly, Paul used his 3-piece removable back design so that it can be easily turned into an open-backed cab. The cab still has a central front-to-back brace like most closed-back designs do but often gets omitted on "convertible" cabs.
Finally, the cab, despite being rear-loaded, has a removable grille for closer/more accurate mic'ing when recording.

So far I've only tried the cab with Paul's own amps at the workshop, a JPF Sir Charles and a JCM800 2203, but was extremely impressed with the depth, clarity and punch. The Lynchbacks were an unknown quantity - I fancied trying something along the lines of a greenback but without compromising on the high-gain tones I use with my band (I stick to V30s usually). According to the blurb about them and user reviews it sounded like they'd be up to the job, though a few reviews likened them to T75s, which I find to be somewhat metallic and harsh sounding. However, being able to directly compare them (that wiring idea of Paul's is genius!) to the V30s today I was very pleasantly surprised to find they sound really rather smooth in that "greenback-y" way I was hoping for - not harsh at all but with plenty of clarity/cut, and a very healthy low end response (more so than the V30s). The combined sound of all four speakers going was great - the character of both the V30s and Lynchbacks was clearly audible the two blended together into a very big and satisfying sound indeed. I'm looking forward to getting the cab into a rehearsal space with my own rig in the near future to really put it through its paces before using it on stage at our upcoming gigs.

Here are a couple of pics from the workshop earlier, believe it or not I am not "flipping the bird" in the first one but actually trying to wrestle the strap onto the lower button!

ZILLA2.jpg

ZILLA1.jpg

Cheers lads!

Awesome, cheers chaps!

Very cool - very comprehensive feature set too.

Would it be rude to ask how much it set you back?

Not at all - loaded 4x12s are £680, but the go-faster stripes, 3-piece back, removable grille and Lynchbacks are extras so the total would be more like £840.

the viper-ish racing stripes are beyond awesome!
white/black combination is tits too

keen to hear some clips of it!

I got to check out the cab with my own rig for an hour or so today, though not at massive volume. Definitely liking the Lynchbacks a lot, they are really full and smooth sounding, and switching between them and the V30s the actual voicing isn't all that dissimilar (not as striking as going from a V30 to a T75 or something). After playing on just the Lynch's for a while, the first impression of the V30s are very in-your-face, tight and present but a little lacking in low end. Do the opposite and the Lynchbacks sound somewhat bottom heavy and recessed in the upper-mids, though very unfatiguing to listen to. I'm really talking about that initial perception when you go from one to the other - it only takes a few seconds to adjust to the sound and from there on they sound excellent both ways. I think the Lynch's would be a particularly great choice for a cab to pair with brighter and thinner sounding amps like Marshall-types.
As it is I'm very satisfied with the combination of the two for my purposes - the V30s' characteristic midrange "chompiness" and presence is there, but filled out and smoothed by the Lynchback's fuller bass response and reduced upper mids.

I'm hoping to get some clips in the next few weeks :)

533015_10100191751707075_223405388_17067874_712991470_n.jpg