New song, melodic + thrash + something(soloC/8505/s2.0)

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post i want to start by saying thanks to everybody posting here, I've been reading this forum for a while and learning alot.
I've only been into recording for like 8 months now so I'm not a pro by any means :), anyway here is a song I wrote a couple of days ago.

The guitars are soloC + 8505, drums s2.0 with replaced kick. The song is mixed mainly through headphones since I haven't bought any decent pair of monitors yet, so maybe it sounds weird.
Any comments regarding the mix or the song itself are much appreciated.

ver 2:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/ORIENTY2.mp3
old:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1063820/ORIENTY.mp3

Thanks

Sounds nice, really like the drums, just listening on computer speakers. The guitars are a bit loud and a bit honky maybe, some kind of upper mid harsh frequency in there that could be tweaked a bit. Good job!

Glad you liked it,
yeah your probably right about the guitars being too loud, will look into that tomorrow. For the drums: I didn't tweek them in superior so can't give you a preset unfortunately.

The snare had a compressor with attack 10ms release 150ms 3.5 ratio, 30% plate reverb and sent to a bus with hall reverb.
The toms have about the same compression + sent to a bus doing some parallel compression.

Here is the EQ curve for toms+snare:

toms%2Bsnare.jpg

I used the 14" Ludwig black beauty, the output from the top mic is mixed around 5 db higher than the bottom mic. Compression, eq and verb is around the same for both top and bottom mic. Nope did all mixing outside superior sent to seperate channels in cubase.

wow man, that's sounds really good. excellent work.

did you use a DI box (or POD) for guitar straight into interface pre?

im trying to achieve a guitar sound like this and have not purchased a DI or interface quite yet.

The first part sounds totally impressive, everything's perfect. There are a couple of things I didn't like in the next part. The tom fill sounds fake, you need to improve both the programming and the mixing. The fast bass drumming needs work too. Other that that, great job!

damm! the drums sounds amazing, and i really dig that guitar tone! can you share a litell more information of how do you procees the guitars?( all of them rythm,cleans and leads). very good song men!, good work!

Yeah i know about the tom fills sounding bad, I was lazy and didn't adjust the velocity (they are all 127 basically), 16th notes in 210 bpm is abit too fast.
did you use a DI box (or POD) for guitar straight into interface pre?
I used my Ibanez RG321EX with EMG 89/81 directly into an EMU 0404 USB. Although if your about to purchase an interface I wouldn't recommend that one, the drivers doesn't work very well, random bluescreens and reboot every now and then. But when it works it sounds good though ;)

The guitars:

Clean rhythm are just soloC clean channel, bass 7, mid 6, high 8, input 5, master 5. Using the catharisstudio awesometime s-pres8 impulse.
They have some compression with 10 ms attack remove around 3-4 db. And highpassed at 100 hz. And just a little bit of delay

Clean leads are also soloC clean channel, bass 5 middle 7, high 6, input 5, master 5. Same impulse
Same compression. highpass at 180hz, 3db boost at 500 hz, 4 db boost at 2200 hz. Also some delay.

Dirty rhythm are soloC crunch channel with bright switch on, crunch 2, input 4, master 3. Into 8505, gain 5, low 9, mid 6, sweep 6, high 5, power amp 9, volume 5. Same impulse as clean. Highpass at 100 hz, cut around 3db at 200-300 hz.

About 3-4 ratio, threshold depends on input signal level so I didn't write that out. It's more useful too look at the amount your a compressing, just adjust the threshold so you compress the signal 3-4 db.

I like it, nice ritm section mix, just guitar needs to be deeper in mix and kick on 16-notes in second half of song, I think

Absolutely awesome if u don't lie saying you've only been into production for about 8 months.

hehe thank you, nope I started last autumn recording ( or at least trying to record) KsE and In Flames covers, then moved on from there trying to anaylse great songs/mixes, record your own and try to find the difference.

I like it, nice ritm section mix, just guitar needs to be deeper in mix and kick on 16-notes in second half of song, I think

Yeah, I'm not totaly happy with the guitars, they miss something in the mid/high range, not entirely sure what.

Sounds great. Cool song and mix. Thanks for the Tom EQ info, I'll be trying that ASAP

I've tested your presets man but i don't manage to have same result...

there's a lot of breath (bad noise) with the distorted sound...

And for the clean sound, i have a crunchy sound... (i've push the clean canal...)