New song Repost, please give feedback

unbrblncvncfbng

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2009
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8359099

okay, guys. made a few changes this time. first off, the gtrs are double tracked. kinda. well, they're not copy and paste, let's just leave it at that.

gtr tone's a little different.

discovered reaper's multiband compressor. holy shit. it'd never occurred to me that my kick was killing everything else. switched comp's, and it's like someone took a friggin blanket off my mix.

Guitars sound extremo-mono, record two takes of the guitars and pan them 100% left and right. Sounds extremely papery, I dunno. Are you using a bass? What for drums?

gtrs are two takes, panned wide. through 8505 and lecab with a different catharsis impulse on either side. papery, i dunno either. best damn gtr sound i've ever accomplished.

i guess i forgot to preface this post with the fact my rec setup is uber ghetto. i bought my gtr at meijer........ i've got 4 kids so my money is pretty much spent as soon as i get it.

bass is my pv millennium 5 through abg's whisper tube w/ no cab.

drums are a soundfont i found i really like. intentionally panned like a live performance, not ass backwards like every joe is sitting in the drum throne.

Did you tune the guitar before you recorded it? It sounds out of tune. Did you actually record 2 performances? It sounds like you just copy and pasted it and shifted one side forward by a few milliseconds

i did tune the gtr. to the synth, actually. gtr has an un-intonatable bridge. best i can afford so far.

2 separate takes, not exactly. i made a master track and created the second by cutting, copying and pasting parts that repeat and using them as doubling parts. like i'd take the second chorus, and use it to double the first.

i'm still working on a drum sound i'm happy with.

i'm trying not to compress the holy shit out of the mix, but i'm just now getting into using a multiband compressor. maybe i'll try compressing the drums, then running it into the multi comp strapped across the main buss.

plus i may fade the synth in, just to make the drums and guitar a little more unexpected.

i can't wait to improve my gtr/interface situation....... seriously, if you saw my gtr...... actually, full disclosure. here's my gtr.

SESGRDCH200Wide.png

tuned to BEadgb, of course....

my rec interface is just a 4 track as a preamp into my stock realtek soundcard. plenty potential for more balls. i appreciate your comments, and will post progress as i make it.

i can't wait to improve my gtr/interface situation....... seriously, if you saw my gtr...... actually, full disclosure. here's my gtr.

SESGRDCH200Wide.png

tuned to BEadgb, of course....

my rec interface is just a 4 track as a preamp into my stock realtek soundcard. plenty potential for more balls. i appreciate your comments, and will post progress as i make it.

it's really not the guitar, mine is a cheapo hollowbody ibanez like this:
wjg8kk.jpg
and I wrote a songs like this and this with it. They ain't masterpieces, but itis more in the performance (as in "fingers") to get the balls. Play less sterile and give it some rawness. Also a lot of bass distortion helps. But also its with the dynamics. If the song just doesn't kickstart somewhere, it ain't ever gonna kick your face in.