New Stephen King- CELL

Thrillho said:
Keep in mind never to see any of these movies if you enjoyed the books ;) Except Maybe the Green Mile movie and "Stand by Me" which was based off King's "The Body"

bah....but i dont read story books, i get bored too quickly, much rather see the flick ;)....even if it doesnt capture the book, not like i am gonna be tested on it in book club or summin :)

it's not just that. His movies suck, plain and simple. Weather you read the book or not - the movies are just bad. I doubt anyone really enjoys them.

Yet to read Needfull Things. It's on the list though.

Thrillho said:
it's not just that. His movies suck, plain and simple. Weather you read the book or not - the movies are just bad. I doubt anyone really enjoys them.

Yet to read Needfull Things. It's on the list though.

ah i like some king films, but for every misery/shawshank (ok thats a bit tenuous) theres a sleepwalkers/it

i did like the stand as a series, cept the end, for those that have read the stand, please tell me the book doesn't end the way the film does??!? 5 hours of an awesome show, followed by the worst ending ever, well not ever but its right up there !

but yeah, i totally agree most of the films are wank

Thrillho said:
Keep in mind never to see any of these movies if you enjoyed the books ;) Except Maybe the Green Mile movie and "Stand by Me" which was based off King's "The Body"
The Shawshank Redemption was actually better than the novella I thought. That's the only movie I liked better than the book.
But I always read the book before I see the movie. ALWAYS. Which reminds me... I need to read The Da Vinci Code. I read Angels and Demons (prequel to Da Vinci Code). It was pretty good.

They are making a TV movie for Desparation.

T_man357 said:
He should've turned The Dark Tower books into a movie...
It would blow all that "Harry Potter", "LOTR" garbage away!!
Yeah. It'd probably be the longest movie ever made!
I can't wait for the Dark Tower comic books.

Thrillho said:
Desperation was good. I enjoyed it more then The Regulators. If you have not read the Regulators - do so! It was still good and it was the "companion" novel to Desperation. Weird how he used the same charachters and villan but a completely different story and setting.

Read them both Back to back!!!!! F-ing great!!!

I did. I still enjoyed Desperation more. They were both very good books though. I am looking forward to this new book, I'll have to see if my store has it tomorrow.

My goal is to read every king book before I die. That might not sound like much of a goal, but the man has got a lot of books - and I have a feeling I will be dead within 5 years.

ThraxDude said:
Yeah. It'd probably be the longest movie ever made!
I can't wait for the Dark Tower comic books.

There was discussion of a HBO miniseries for the Dark tower. One hour a week for how ever many weeks, you know, like Band of Brothers was. About a year ago King was talking about it, I'm not sure if anything amounted or not though. Part of me really wants to see this - I waited a long time for the final 3 books, as I know a lot of others did. I spent countless hours glued to the pages to find out how it all ended. The other part of me knows that no matter how hard they try, they will not do the books justice and the movies will be shitty. No matter who they get to act in it or how much they spend, there will be no comparison. Just like every other (king or not) book that ever got made into a movie.:erk:

Shawshank was very good. Def one of the better ones. I think that since the book was so short, they had to fill up a lot of space, and thankfuly, they did it right. No BS. Green mile was a pretty good book to movie - not perfect but it's higher then most.

As far as the Stand goes - yes, the ending in the book was more or less the same. When I read the book I of course had a slightly different picture in my mind - but the stupid cheesey special effects ruined it for me, haha.

That was what I did'nt like about the stand. It was an awesome book, no doubt about it - but throughout the whole thing there are spiritual undertones. UNDERTONES. Like "Yes, God is watching you, but, he's just watching, he knows you will make the right choice" kinda like that. Then all the sudden at the end of the book it was like "WHOA! GOD here! Who want to get fucked up?! BOOOOOM!" God (or whoever) goes from being a spiritual observer to being the plain and simple end of the story.

I'll be honest I am kinda hoping something like The Stand really happens - this world could use a massive reduction in population.

I still like the old version of Salems Lot. The vamipres were great but the fashion can fuck off and die. The new version made here in Victoria, what a mojor dissapointment. A couple of interesting bits, maybe half a minute out of three hours. The director changed too much and whats worse its the equivelant of Days Of Our Lives.

I work for a bookstore so I grabbed my copy off the shelf this morning before we even opened. He doesn't waste any time with this book. He gets to the good stuff really quick.

Thrillho said:
There was discussion of a HBO miniseries for the Dark tower. One hour a week for how ever many weeks, you know, like Band of Brothers was. About a year ago King was talking about it, I'm not sure if anything amounted or not though. Part of me really wants to see this - I waited a long time for the final 3 books, as I know a lot of others did. I spent countless hours glued to the pages to find out how it all ended. The other part of me knows that no matter how hard they try, they will not do the books justice and the movies will be shitty. No matter who they get to act in it or how much they spend, there will be no comparison. Just like every other (king or not) book that ever got made into a movie.:erk:

I'd love to see a Dark Tower series made, but i'm afraid it wouldn't live up to what I would expect. Before King Kong came out I would've wanted Peter Jackson to do it, now I don't know.
Also, who would you picture playing Roland. When I read the books, in my mind I always pictured (people will probably hate me for this) Paul Hogan and that Crocodile Dundee look. He has that old weathered look and I think he would be perfect for Roland.

BIGPHAT442 said:
I'd love to see a Dark Tower series made, but i'm afraid it wouldn't live up to what I would expect. Before King Kong came out I would've wanted Peter Jackson to do it, now I don't know.
Also, who would you picture playing Roland. When I read the books, in my mind I always pictured (people will probably hate me for this) Paul Hogan and that Crocodile Dundee look. He has that old weathered look and I think he would be perfect for Roland.
Since Roland is the "gunslinger" I can only think of one guy.....The greatest actor to ever portray a cowboy.....Clint Eastwood!! HE's old and grisled too.

Thrillho said:
My goal is to read every king book before I die. That might not sound like much of a goal, but the man has got a lot of books - and I have a feeling I will be dead within 5 years.
I've read all of them except Danse Macabre (non fiction). I only read about half of that one.
I wish I had read them all in order though, since some characters and places are revisited in other books.

emtfhII said:
I work for a bookstore so I grabbed my copy off the shelf this morning before we even opened. He doesn't waste any time with this book. He gets to the good stuff really quick.
Yep. I Cell today. I'm only on chapter 5.

I don't know who could play Roland. Or anyone else for that matter.... it would be tough. As long as they don't get that annoying as shit little boy from the 6th sense to play jake, they would probably be ok!