New Stephen King- CELL

johnnieCzech said:
BTW I'm translating Shaun Hutson's "Lucy's Child" to Czech. Do you think I can find a publisher? :)
You should ask Shaun Hutson about that.

ThraxDude said:
How is Stanger Than Fiction?
Most of it's great so far. There was one chapter about guys in the northwest that built their own castles, that sort of lost me. Not as good as Fight Club or Survivor.

I'd be done reading Trunk Music by now, but this message board is distracting me.
God, I love this place.

i thought "Cell" was great. as soon as i heard you say it was about zombies i jumped on it and finished it in a week when usually it takes me a month to read a book since i usually only read right before i go to sleep. I think i would have to give it a 8.5 out of 10 for thraxdudes reason but flipped. the beginning was meh... it was pretty much like any other zombie book. mindless violence and gore and no real story. but then it slowed down a little and focused more on the characters. Stephen king is amazing at characterization and dialogue. through the middle it got very interesting and philisophical and then through the end it gave many glimpses into the state of things plus the main characters goal kept me on edge. I think King did a great job to reestablish himself as a great horror/scifi writer.
and i think Vigo Mortensen would be great as Roland.
-Jono-

I'm reading a scarey book called "Worth the Fighting For" by John McCain,(who should be President of the United States) it's got some zombies in it called "The Politicians". A friend of mine is gonna give me his copy of "Cell" to read when he's done. He's almost finished .

I finished Blood Work by Michael Connelly. It's really good. The movie ruins it.
I just started Angels Flight, also by Michael Connelly.

ThraxDude said:
What are YOU reading?

Finding Darwin's God By Ken Miller. It's an interesting look at the relationship religion can have with science.

Also, for you Stephen King fans, I read in last week's Wizard magazine that Marvel is pushing back the Dark Tower comic until 2007.

Here's a link about it from Marvel's website: http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=51

hey anybody who read Cell and the Dark Tower books;

The number that Clay called in Cell is 207-919-9811

Adds up to 9 - 19 - 19

I'm such a friggin nerd.

Anthrax fans are, perhaps, the only metal fans who also read:headbang:
Anyway, I'm gonna have to read "Cell", 'cause all of you say it's worth it, but on a larger scale I think that King should stop writing for a while and gather his ... kingness... 'Cause it seems to me that all his greatest works are back in the past - "Dead Zone", "Shining", "Pet Sematary", "Needful Things", even "Green Mile" was written god knows what time ago... Writer's block is a real shit, men...
I'm reading now John Le Carre's "Absolute Friends" - powerful!

well he did say he was retireing almost 4 years ago. I think "Cell" is the first "new" book since he "retired." He has had a lot of releases over the past few years, but it was all stuff written before he announced his "retirement." Anyway, yeah, some of his older stuff certaintly does kick ass. I still like the new stuff to though. Cell was very good, not his best, but good.

I do think King is the fast food of fiction, but a good storyteller. I haven't read his books since Tommyknockers; that and IT scared the shit outta me. I love his short stories, particularly Night Shift and Skeleton Crew (The Mist and The Raft...Jesus H. Christ!). He was the shit in the 80s.

I'm reading Mort by Terry Pratchett; he rules! He should be huge in the U.S., but Americans have no taste. He was the biggest-selling author in Britain before J.K. Rowling and her dreck came along.

I've also just read "Scorsese on Scorsese", fucking great. Next up is White Jazz by James Ellroy, as I've read the previous 3 in the L.A. Quartet: Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential. And I've just read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain and The Metabarons (totally fucking mad Euro space opera comic).

Thrillho said:
hey anybody who read Cell and the Dark Tower books;

The number that Clay called in Cell is 207-919-9811

Adds up to 9 - 19 - 19

I'm such a friggin nerd.
Hehe. I did not notice that. What page was that on?

Drokk said:
Next up is White Jazz by James Ellroy, as I've read the previous 3 in the L.A. Quartet: Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential. And I've just read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain and The Metabarons (totally fucking mad Euro space opera comic).
Whenever I finish reading all of Michael Connelly's books, I'll have to read James Ellroy's.
I read Black Dahlia, but none of the others. Scott e-mailed me a list of James Ellroy that I need to read, including the LA Quartet.

ThraxDude said:
Whenever I finish reading all of Michael Connelly's books, I'll have to read James Ellroy's.
I read Black Dahlia, but none of the others. Scott e-mailed me a list of James Ellroy that I need to read, including the LA Quartet.
The first one I read was American Tabloid, which will fucking blow you away.

Drokk said:
The first one I read was American Tabloid, which will fucking blow you away.
I'll have to get that too. There are so many books... I don't know if I'll live long enough to read 'em.

remington69 said:
Finding Darwin's God By Ken Miller. It's an interesting look at the relationship religion can have with science.

Interesting. I looked at it briefly (no time now really) where he's talking about the "differing paces of change in various lineages" . I'm in the middle of documenting this PBS video that's comparing Frued to C.S. Lewis in the scientific prove of God amongst a panel of theologins, scientist etc. whom are mediating the compatibility of Scientific Method to revelation. Really cool but it's around 3 1/2 hours and I can only do so much until I have to do something that doesn't require much thought.:p Plus, I'm starting to jam again with some friends and it has been sooo.. long since the last time.