New Stratovarius

The Amazer

Mar 31, 2003
I'm listening to "Maniac Dance" the first song/single off the new album.

I really really like it, this is about my 5th time through it.

Crazy thing is it sounds a LOT like Edguy. It could easily slip onto Hellfire Club if it had Tobias singing and no one would notice. I can't get over how much it sounds like Edguy.

Good catchy song though, good return to form and a progression. Elements pt 2 was disappointing to me with nothing really standing out and everything feeling generic, whereas pt 1 is still an absolute power metal masterpiece in my eyes.

Wow, i don't think i would actually pick this as Stratovarius if i was listening blind.

Just onto the second song now, if this trend continues the album will be killer... geeez these guy should try to split up more often.

Now that i've listened to the whole thing i'm not 100% sure where i stand yet, i need to listen more.

My opinion has been somewhat clouded with plenty of new releases to listen to! Stratovarius, Demons & Wizards, Dream Theater and Shaaman all hit me in the last week, not enough time in the day!!!

MeKaChrOme: As weak as ever? Does that mean you think Timo's vocals have always been weak?

Personally I think he's a very powerful vocalist. He hits supremely fucking high notes and can really give me chills with his vocals.

I've only heard Maniac Dance off the new one, and it seems he's restrained, but that he's trying new things, and that Strato are trying new things (A lot more layers for the vocals, for example)

ceydn said:
MeKaChrOme: As weak as ever? Does that mean you think Timo's vocals have always been weak?

Personally I think he's a very powerful vocalist. He hits supremely fucking high notes and can really give me chills with his vocals.

I've only heard Maniac Dance off the new one, and it seems he's restrained, but that he's trying new things, and that Strato are trying new things (A lot more layers for the vocals, for example)

Yeah, I find his vocals slightly weak - not so bad in the previous albums (just a bit annoying), but on the new one he sounds weak! As you said, restrained...

Can someone remind me in brief what the whole thing was with Stratovarius a year or so ago? Did someone get stabbed or threatened or something?

Timo Tolkki (band mastermind) got attacked at some place with a knife.

The main thing about a year ago though was Tolkki's mental breakdown. He suffered a complete nervous breakdown and had to go into rehab or whatever for a while. He's out now and this is what he's doing.

He's all well-groomed and shit too, it's crazy.

First off, he got stabbed with a broken bottle by a black metal fan. After that he went insane and converted to Kabala and broke up the band. The guitarist also pissed on him on stage.

cool guys.

^ I was close.

But if he's the guitarist, does that mean he pissed on himself? Or did he piss on Timo Kotipelto?