new strings, new bridge?

When you decided to go with monster strings did you have the guitar professionally setup?

You must not tune down much if you consider 12-52 "monster strings" hehehehhehehehehe :D

And I've used 12's & 13's on my EC-400 (with some standard Tune-o-matic or other) for years and never once had any professional adjustment on my bridge, and I truly can't remember the last time I broke a string (though I too sweat like a motherfucker, so I change 'em about every 1.5 months cuz they're so grimy :ill: )

I really don't know, honestly - I know my saddles are fine, so I guess my sweat is less acidic, and I pick pretty hard and bend like crazy (to me bending is the real string breaker). I think the main thing, though, is that the EC's are 24.75" scale length, so less tension on the neck is less tension on the saddles

Yeah I just thought about that and I don't think I've broken a string in a very long time. My strings just get worn out and I replace them. It's been a very long time since I've had one of those "fuck, I broke a string" moments.

I've never heard of Gotoh making the TonePros stuff, but then again ESP and Schecter both deny being affilliated, yet they really are one and the same. Even still, the bridge being trashed like that after just a year and the saddles (possibly) causing all the string breaking, they should do something for him. At the very least replace the bridge and charge him labor or something.

~006

but then again ESP and Schecter both deny being affilliated, yet they really are one and the same...

Whaaaaaa? :OMG: They both make really generic looking super strats (though ESP at least makes them in colors other than red & black :rolleyes: ), so I always thought they were the closest competitors rather than, say, ESP & Ibanez, but I never heard of them being the same. Where'd you hear that dude?

I got an answer from the shop where I bought the guitar... they said:

“specifications subject to change without notice”.

They said they don't touch the guitars after ordering them from ESP or change any parts. Plus: "Gotoh Bridges are just as good as TonePros. ESP is using Gotoh hardware for all ESP Std and Custom Series." Is that true? I've send them another mail with the picture.... let's see what they say after that.

ESP uses Gotoh, Spertzel, and sometimes TonePros. My best friend has an ESP endorsement and none of his have ever shipped with TonePros stuff. His always have Gotoh bridges and Spertzel locking tuners. And no, Gotoh bridges are not as good as TonePros. They don't even come close. A Gotoh is nothing but a standard TOM knock-off. The TonePros bridges have a patented locking system that no one else can use. What's worse is that TonePros and Gibson make their bridges out of top quality materials, to ensure maximum resonance, sustain and tone (just like a Real Floyd Rose). Gotoh uses cheap "pot metal" in the construction of their bridges and other hardware, which is why they suffer more over time from elements and corrosion (like a "licensed" Floyd Rose).

Seriously Marcus? Haha. Well, as far as them being the same company, it's a little hard to "prove", but they at least use the same factory. If you look at a HellRaiser and any of the LTD Deluxe models, it's extremely obvious.

Both use the same hardware and have pretty much the same appointments. Also, the see-thru black cherry finish from both companies are identical. There is only one logical answer to me...

~006

When you decided to go with monster strings did you have the guitar professionally setup?

If your saddles still have the factory grooves for the .009-.042 set that your guitar shipped with I'm sure that's why you're breaking strings so often.

The corrosion and discoloration have nothing to do with it. I played in a band with a guy whose sweat completely destroyed the black powder coat on his Ibanez edge tremolo. He didn't break strings any more often than anyone else. Tho he did have to change them more often since his ultra-acidic sweat made them go false a lot faster.

ryan

+1

if the grooves are too small for the string thickness this WILL cause string breakge. it's the same as when you put fat strings on and the slots in the nut aren't big enough for the strings to fit in, but because the bridge is metal it tends to cut the strings. Sweat will have minimal effect.

just try filing the saddles a little bigger and smoother to start with.

if the grooves are too small for the string thickness this WILL cause string breakge. it's the same as when you put fat strings on and the slots in the nut aren't big enough for the strings to fit in, but because the bridge is metal it tends to cut the strings. Sweat will have minimal effect.

just try filing the saddles a little bigger and smoother to start with.

And I've used 12's & 13's on my EC-400 (with some standard Tune-o-matic or other) for years and never once had any professional adjustment on my bridge, and I truly can't remember the last time I broke a string (though I too sweat like a motherfucker, so I change 'em about every 1.5 months cuz they're so grimy :ill: )

I beg to differ :)

ESP uses Gotoh, Spertzel, and sometimes TonePros. My best friend has an ESP endorsement and none of his have ever shipped with TonePros stuff. His always have Gotoh bridges and Spertzel locking tuners. And no, Gotoh bridges are not as good as TonePros. They don't even come close. A Gotoh is nothing but a standard TOM knock-off. The TonePros bridges have a patented locking system that no one else can use. What's worse is that TonePros and Gibson make their bridges out of top quality materials, to ensure maximum resonance, sustain and tone (just like a Real Floyd Rose). Gotoh uses cheap "pot metal" in the construction of their bridges and other hardware, which is why they suffer more over time from elements and corrosion (like a "licensed" Floyd Rose).

Indeed. I noticed on a friend's brand new EC-1000 that he has the LTD locking tuners instead of the Sperzels. When they first introduced the Deluxe series they all had locking Sperzels, mine does. I don't understand why they aren't using them anymore.

~006

Oh shit, yeah man I didn't catch that before. The LTD Deluxe series should all come with TonePros bridges. Regardless of the year they were made. My EC-1000 is from the very first run and it has a TonePros locking TOM. In which case it's even more weird that the nuts on your bridge aren't soldered...mine are. Wolfe, can you tell if yours are?

~006

Well, I would check, but I am about 6589.6 miles away from it at the moment...

But if my memory serves me correctly, they were soldered.

Indeed. I noticed on a friend's brand new EC-1000 that he has the LTD locking tuners instead of the Sperzels. When they first introduced the Deluxe series they all had locking Sperzels, mine does. I don't understand why they aren't using them anymore.

~006

Might have something to do with the ratio on the Sperzels.... I know that is one of the biggest complaints about them...

Haha oh yeah, forgot you were off playing in the sand. How's it going over there so far?

~006

can't help on the bridge problem. but....

what I can tell you is to wash your hands everytime you play ??!!

dude, laugh at me but... I even have a special HAND SWEAT TOWEL :-D

I never thought this topic will be discussed so much but I still feel like I'm the only person having such a serious problem about string breakage. :puke:

I keep a towel on my amp, when I play live man... and I wear big ass black wristbands to try and keep the sweat from dripping on my pickups too much. I've gone through 4 JB's in 6 years. :lol: