I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!
Mar 8, 2006
San Antonio, TX, USA
Hmm... it appears I have mail.

Is it can be string tiem?

photo0108nv9.jpg

IT CAN BE STRING TIEM!

photo0109tu2.jpg

As some of you will recall, I ordered some gigantic fucking strings for an adventure or two in F#. How gigantic?

photo0110bo7.jpg

This gigantic.

But first, we have to show the Blackjack some love.

photo0111ew7.jpg

Yes, that is a broken E string. A 52, tuned to E, succumbed to my absurdly heavy-handed playing a good while back, and rather than put on a new set of *normal* strings I ordered these.

photo0113fq8.jpg

That is what happens when the core wire snaps on the bridge. No fun.

We proceed to observe the fretboard that hasn't been oiled or cleaned in a good while, and the strings that have been sitting there doing nothing since the E broke.

Toothbrush and furniture oil to the rescue!

photo0116cs3.jpg

But there's one problem...

Fuck imperial units!

photo0118du6.jpg

Ounces = fail.

photo0119xi9.jpg

I prefer to squirt some oil into the bottle cap, dip an old toothbrush in it, and use that to apply (side-to-side, parallel to frets) to the fretboard. It's wide and brushy enough to cover evenly, and the bristes also get in under the frets well enough.

photo0120ha9.jpg

I'm fairly generous with oil. It's cheap.

After the oil has set in, the board looks much better.

There's a very subtle but very nice-looking streak of lighter brown near the thin-string side of the neck that I felt like taking pictures of.

photo0122yg5.jpg

Is pretty colour.

photo0123iy8.jpg

And now it is time for strings.

(To be continued...)

B

photo0124pt0.jpg

F#

photo0125cp2.jpg

D

photo0126yz6.jpg

A

photo0128tk4.jpg

E - before, I had simply used a 52 and let that be the end of it, but after breaking a perfectly normal one I didn't feel like risking it - felt a little light, anyway...

photo0129mz0.jpg

B

photo0130dl8.jpg

And...

*drum roll*

*continuing drum roll*

*drum roll pauses*

*drummer is shot*

*drum roll is resumed by backup tape player*

*tape player is shot, for the purpose of gratuity*

*drum roll materializes out of nowhere*

F#

photo0131rc0.jpg

Yes... a DY90, for F#.

photo0132yv2.jpg

Fucking massive.

The only problem I ran into was - SURPRISE, FUCKING SURPRISE! - the 90 didn't fit in the hole. This was solved by unwinding part of the top wrap, which itself is pretty fucking big.

photo0133oy8.jpg

Here's about 70% of the unraveling finished, laid out on my bed/workstation (I don't sleep enough to justify only using my bed for rest, I put the thing to good use) - it's pretty fucking long. The next pic is just a few wraps away from completion - in its unstretched, mostly-coiled arrangement it is still long enough to reach from the tuner to the string ferrule ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GUITAR.

Lots of fucking unwinding.

photo0134nc4.jpg

The strings sit in/on the nut fairly well - I like high action and a high nut slot, so it worked out perfectly.

Here are the strings, after tuning and everything.

photo0135jl4.jpg

photo0136vk8.jpg

The Jeff approves!

photo0137ki8.jpg

Clips will come when I feel like sharing.

Jeff