New strings

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

Sometime ago Erkan, IIRC, posted about how new strings would last only 3 or 4 songs before it would lose the new string sound. I though 'Hey this is bullshit, he should have acid on his hands or whatever'. So, I am recording this band now...I put new strings on my guitar, recorded a couple songs and left the guitar sitting for about one week. Naturally, due to the humidity we have here in the Amazon forest, the strings aged. So i changed it again and yesterday I tracked exactly 3 tracks, 2 hours worth of recording. The tone was awesome, open, punchy, the hi mid range was crunchy - you got the idea. We scheduled another session for this morning and right when we started tracking, we were like 'huh?'. The tone changed so much it doesnt even sound like it is the same guitar. I even showed this to my wife through my notebook speakers, and she was amazed of the difference. So, there is really a difference after just a few hours of playing :D

Ivan

you're all lucky, by then end of 6 hour session my strings are dull and lifeless, I think my sweat is fucking acidic though, I wash my hands almost every hour now and it helps surprisingly :)
But yeh, I go 1 set a day :)

I let my strings go to hell and leave them. The amount of money I used to spend on strings was unbelievable.

Only thing old strings have going for them is that they are consistent. If I was endorsed I'd wake up at sunrise and change them religiously, but until that day I will continue to get up at 12pm tell my guitars to suck it.

you're all lucky, by then end of 6 hour session my strings are dull and lifeless, I think my sweat is fucking acidic though, I wash my hands almost every hour now and it helps surprisingly :)
But yeh, I go 1 set a day :)

Mine will be fucked after one full day of recording or playing, my sweat burns through them :D I can't afford to change them every day, so unless I get endorsed by Ernie Ball magically, I'm stuck with old strings for a while haha

Strings can be made to last for 4-5 days, but that requires that you just polished the fretboard and frets(So no stringdenting occurs.), then you need to have a good nut and saddle(So that the string wont detune to often.), and to finish it all of: Wiping it with string cleaner before and after each session(Both the tool and chemical.).
Oh, and ive found that round-cored strings live allot longer then hex-cored ones.

I tend to buy coated strings when I know I'm not gonna be recording anything for a while, but then buy regular strings for recording stuff. Works out cheaper that way.
Just buy strings in bulk if you're finding them expensive to buy in single packs, easy solution.

Coated strings sound like shit from factory.. and the few coated sets i have tried havent lasted any longer then normal guitar strings(How often do you guys break strings?).

I haven't broken a string in years...

I don't know why or how. It seems like it's a pretty common thing amongst guitarists.

I use .013's in C standard with 1.14 mm dunlop jazz picks

I haven't broken a string in years...

I don't know why or how. It seems like it's a pretty common thing amongst guitarists.

I use .013's in C standard with 1.14 mm dunlop jazz picks

I don't think this is an issue of breaking strings, but an issue of breaking-in strings.

That said, breaking strings is indicative of bad technique, bad setup, or a dud string.

I don't think this is an issue of breaking strings, but an issue of breaking-in strings.

That said, breaking strings is indicative of bad technique, bad setup, or a dud string.

I think he responded to my post, which was directed to the fact that coated strings sound broken in from factory, so the only thing that makes them "last longer" is the fact that its harder to make them break.. there is no tone to be lost on the way.

Coated strings sound like shit from factory.. and the few coated sets i have tried havent lasted any longer then normal guitar strings(How often do you guys break strings?).

I agree. I hate coated strings, and I can't just leave them on the guitar for months at a time because the coating will begin to flake off. I can deal with dull strings but not some nasty shit coming off onto my fingers and fretboard.

I often go through stages of recording with one guitar, so the other guitars will rarely be played during that time and I like to leave the old strings on them.

Acoustic coated really suck.

I don't have aggressive sweat or anything, so my strings last forever, I rehearse for 4-6 weeks with them.
I am replacing them every 2nd gig though (in case there are no rehearsals between the shows.

I DO change them every day for tracking though...fucking annoying but worth it.

Don't even try the coated strings, they suck beyond sucking, especially with fast thrashy picking.

Boiling may cause instabilities in the winding though, but still better then running dirty strings though.