New studio first test sample

Mewle

New Metal Member
May 8, 2008
Banbury, U.K.
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I just wondered if you'd care to have a listen to a sample I just threw together in my new studio, and hurl some criticism at it.

I just started managing it at the start of May and we had to do a lot of work to get it upto scratch. I'll have do make a sig at somepoint to list our toys.

The sample was made with a special edition strat w/bucker on the bridge, thru EVH 5150 III into SM57 x2 (1 is a u.s original) and a(cringe) RV6 condensor.

Drums are all Addictive Drums VSTi and bass was done through an ampeg combo shouting at a homemade subkick and a TboneBD300 with an sm57 tucked in for laughs and a D.I. to the desk(I have tweaked the bass since this sample to get a much cleaner tone)

I'd appreciate any and all feedback anyone cares to give as I'm still finding my feet even after about a year or so of recording.

Thanks Guys:headbang:

Metal Demo.mp3

tried to listen and got this:

Metal%20Demo.mp3

man AD sounds great... maybe you would share that preset x) :) what kind of mastering process you did on drums after? cannot be its just AD x) i love that reverb on snare... i love whole kit yeah x)
strat :) sure it sounds METAL x) :) all best man!

man AD sounds great... maybe you would share that preset x) :) what kind of mastering process you did on drums after? cannot be its just AD x) i love that reverb on snare... i love whole kit yeah x)
strat :) sure it sounds METAL x) :) all best man!

Basically I used two ADs, one soley for a kick drum where I mixed the close mic and OH and Rooms to get a nice balance then I used a multi band compressor, scooped the mids a smidge and tinkered with the attacks and release a bit.

The other AD was set up for the rest of the kit on the standard preset just with different cymbals(and no cow bell :heh:). I did add AD's hall reverb mainly to the snare but dialed a little in on the toms too.

I'll happily email you the presets, or host em for download if few people like em. are you using V1.1.1?

hey man i would love that preset too! i have retro pack included but i have 1.1.0 version ? so it wont work... damn... maybe we can try it... havent been to AD site for a while... havent heard for that 1.1.1 version
anyway your ad sounds great... so thats just a first kit AD loads when you start it just with ad's hall reverb... if you post your preset here and its not working with mine version i will try that INFO you gave us here for sure...

That would be awesome to see your mixer settings. I think my biggest problem in mixing is that I try to be too fancy. I'll tweak until the end of days and the guys have to yell STOP! I'm like Forest Gump with a mixer. lol.

I'm just amazed at the clarity people are getting with what seems to be relative ease compared to those that spend infinite hours.

I read something on a forum here once that rings true " just because it sounds different does not mean it sounds better "

Chris ~ Counted Shadows

That would be awesome to see your mixer settings. I think my biggest problem in mixing is that I try to be too fancy. I'll tweak until the end of days and the guys have to yell STOP! I'm like Forest Gump with a mixer. lol.

I'm just amazed at the clarity people are getting with what seems to be relative ease compared to those that spend infinite hours.

I read something on a forum here once that rings true " just because it sounds different does not mean it sounds better "

Chris ~ Counted Shadows

My mixer settings are pretty flat and basic, as little e.q. as poss. Guitars got three mics coming in and just got a HP filter rolling off anything below 100Hz, bass got a small boost at 550Hz(about 1.5 db over .75 of an octave).

The drums got all their tweaks in AD cept for the kick which had the multiband comp and the usual punch boost at about 120Hz with the 170Hz to 270Hz pulled down a little.

Literally all that was done was what was needed to tame it all

I have found that it's easy to be too... 'artistic' with mixing hehe, especially with the tones of the guitars and the drums. All my favourite albums have had
a real personality to them, really distinctive tones, and feel. Take In Utero by Nirvana, not necessarily a favourite but the drum sound on the album has a massive character and for any other band or genre it'd suck balls.

My point is though, it's easy to get caught up in creating that rather than creating a good solid mix, with tight clear source material.

anyway here are the AD drums presets, I just saved em from the project so any little tweaks I may have made are in there. Hopefully they work with the earlier version too.

Test Kick.ADPreset
Test Top Shelf.ADPreset

I used 2 separate AD plugins one solely for the kick and everything else on another.

hey man... am sorry i had no time to write here... i just download those presets will surely try em later... i have some damn work to do... no time for recordings and stuff... but as soon as i try this i will reply! all best man and thanks for the presets you rock!

This is a very very good sounding mix! I like the guitar tone, but I've heard a little better from the 5150 III. Are you boosting it with anything (TS7)? Try boosting the mids a TINY bit. Those are my only suggestions.

This is a very very good sounding mix! I like the guitar tone, but I've heard a little better from the 5150 III. Are you boosting it with anything (TS7)? Try boosting the mids a TINY bit. Those are my only suggestions.

Thanks for the kind words, I have since spent a little more time on mic positioning and am seeing better results already, and like you say even a small boost in the mids really livens things up!!!!

Yeah dude, it sounds pretty beastly, though the super low-tuning always makes things sound better, and it's a bit thin (moar mids as Greg mentioned), but definitely has a lot of potential!

well, this is weird. hey antony :p

always like the drum sounds you get, this is no different.

i think the guitars sound a bit box-y though? interested in hearing the newer ones!

thanks,

well, this is weird. hey antony :p

always like the drum sounds you get, this is no different.

i think the guitars sound a bit box-y though? interested in hearing the newer ones!

thanks,

Yo!! I'm basically gonna take our smallest room and try everything I can. I got a ton of acoustic foam too, so I'm gonna try and baffle in the sound, have it open, try three trillion mics etc, basically as thorough a test as I can with what I have. I'm scarily excited about it hehe