New Studio job...gear question

KeithReyn

Members Only Member
Apr 1, 2008
Osceola Mills, PA
Hey guys, I recently secured the "audio engineer" spot at a local new studio. The guy who owns it is very active in the local music scene. Anyway, we decided the stuff he has for recording just isnt going to work. He has 2 m audio delta 1010 LT cards running through a mixer. It doesnt work every other day and the signal is SOO low. I took my Motu 8Pre there to get by until he gets the new interface. We have decided on the M Audio Profire 2626. No big surprise there!
The plan is, to run my 8Pre into the Profire with adat so we can have 16 channels. Ive never done that before, but im assuming it will work. We also wanted to get into reamping. There are some cool amps ill have access to.

So my gear question is will this reamp box be good enough? Has anyone used it? http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAD-PRORMP-LIST

The guy said he has no problem spending money to get things, but the studio has to make money. Obviously if I was working with a decent amount of money, my choices would be different. Basically I need to get by until there is enough money to get some serious gear. We have some bands booked allready, as we officially "open" in February. Im pretty excited about this job even though its nothing big. They also run a video & website business that does good. So im hoping the studio part takes off. Im in Pennsylvania though. :erk:

Also, if someone has info that the profire and 8Pre wont play nice together, that would be good to know.
Thanks guys!!:kickass:

The Pro RMP is fine. Use it with my Profire all the time.

Assuming the 8pre can work in standalone mode then you should have no problems. Just link it up with a couple of ADAT cables and make sure that one device is synced to the other via ADAT.

Congrats on the job dude.

Also, if someone has info that the profire and 8Pre wont play nice together, that would be good to know.
Thanks guys!!:kickass:

My mate bought my 8pre off me to use with his profire 2626. He had some issues at first, but i think it was firmware with the 2626 not the 8 pre, as that had always worked fine via adat for me and was fully up to date. I'm sure he said he got it all working in the end though!

If you want to work in PT, you can get a DIGI002 cheap and buy an Focusrite Octopre LE which i can really recommend through the ADAT, then you have 12 channels of recording.

Cheers

Hey, congrats man, looks like you're not destitute living in your car anymore, and the fact that you got a position at a studio is fucking awesome - good luck! :headbang:

Thanks for the replies guys!!!
yeah, things have gotten a little better since I last posted. I do live sound for a metal club on saturday nights and then the studio thing. Hopefully things keep progressing. Like I said, its not some big studio job. Just starting out, but its good enough for me.

Btw- we arent working in Pro Tools. Im not dealing with that no delay compensation bullshit. It sounds like a headache and a half. I am gonna stick with Reaper.