New stuff

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
I just wanted to ask about folks on this forum, if they are into a lot of the stuff I have discovered recently via others recommendations on other forums..namely mike portnoy's forum.

The 3 big bands I am constantly spinning lately are:

Muse
Dredg
Ours

like every week..nearly everyday I have them on...

also I have been spinning a lot System of a Down, The Tea Party, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree..and Opeth..who I suppose are more in the Prog vein..but also not typical prog-sound so-to-speak.

anybody into some of these..well i'd expect folks to know Porcupine Tree, Opeth, and The Mars Volta..but all 3 of them have new albums out this year that are great.

Kyle

I'm definetely into Porcupine Tree's new one. Haven't really listened to or gotten into any of those other ones. I heard one Mars Volta song and it seemed a little punky in a way and out there as far as unorganized. I most likely need to listen more to appreciate it. You should check out Kino's CD!

It is always great when people write in here with these bands and share this stuff with all of us here. I love the whats in your player threads. Especially here in our furum where people have the best taste! :)

I have to say this thread and some other ones have turned me on to some cool stuff I might not even be aware of.

Kyle good to hear from you buddy. Thanks for the posts as always.

Hey another band I am getting into which is actually a bit proggy but also has a little mix of punkish pop overtones and even metal is Coheed and Cambria. The vocalist sounds a LOT like Geddy. They have two guitarists who work pretty well togather and trade off solos. I have always liked that.

They are touring with the Dredg who is also really cool I think. I need to check out that show in SF in Oct.

Porcupine Tree is a fav of mine now especially after seeing them a few times. They are just a great band. Kino is a given, maybe the best release of the year all around, I can not wait foir there next one and hope to see? or even tour with someday. IO is kicking ass right now with all this new stuff coming out.

I will have to check out Ours.

Hey it seems like the punkish upbeat high energy bands that are mixing in off time sigs and cool melodies are really happening right now. It is weird but it works for me. Some of it is way our there, and a bit whacked but I think it is ok.

Hey it is pretty cool this stuff comes up on Mikes forum.

Hey "not so typical prog sounding" sounds really good to me. Thats really what prog is right? Progressive, not stale and old and clunky.

Also it gets the Prog Snobs panties in a bunch which is cool.

Keep the recomendations coming everyone we love it.

Thanks again

At the moment I just can't get the new Nevermore out of my player!

Check this one out:
http://www.gos-metal.com

They are an Austrian group, I heard live last Saturday on a festival I played with my band. Very Malmsteenish Melodic Metal. The homepage is in German, but I guess the soundsamples are quite easy to find!
The power from the live performance is missing on the CD, but you can definitely hear their great skills!

hey Ed thanks for chmining in..I'd HIGHLY endorse checking out the band Ours. I have played their album DISTORTED LULLABIES probably 15 times in the last month. The singer is like Jeff Buckley and Bono "on steroids" as Mike Portnoy described.

I mean to check out Coheed and Cambira..the singer..is high-ptched and maybe the biggest hurdle I will face getting more into them, but the fact Dredg is touring with them (in my town the on the jewish New Year which I dunno if I will be able to make for that reason sadly). and a lot of the talk including yourself, makes me want to give them a real shot. Geddy's voice took me a bit to get into, so maybe the guy from C&C could be the same. I love The Mars Volta afterall and their vocals are in a similar vein.

Kyle

I really liked Mars Volta's first album, they actually reminded me a bit of Led Zeppelin.
But you can judge a band's quality best when seeing them perform live on stage, and that's what I did... I saw Mars Volta here in Cologne and they're a real joke IMO! Equipment not working for nearly an hour (well, I wouldn't have minded about that), but they were also too stoned to get one single song right o_O, their sound was utterly horrible, and they didn't play one single encore but left the stage the moment they'd finished their last song off the album. That was 25 € completely wasted.
So, as long as you listen to their albums, it's fine, they're quite good. But DON'T waste money on of their gigs (just my little piece of advice :rolleyes: )

Apart from that, Kino's "Picture" certainly is one of my favourite releases this year, same goes for PT's "Deadwing".

Muse are simply a great english band, the first two albums "showbiz" and "origin of symmetry" are killer. It's emotional, it's pathetic, it's dark, it's melodic ... and it's not like something I've heard before, so to say 'progressive' in its very own meaning.
Some folks say "muse" sound like "radiohead" ... in my opinion that's bullshit. :)
Worth checking out, dudes!
"Dredg" are marvellous, too. "El cielo" and "Catch without arms" are brillant cds and yes, Ed: "Coheed and Cambria" is a very interesting band, too! :)

There's so much interesting music in the air...so we've only to wait for some new ENCHANTEMENTS! :)

ebass said:
Hey another band I am getting into which is actually a bit proggy but also has a little mix of punkish pop overtones and even metal is Coheed and Cambria.

I can't get enough of Coheed & Cambria lately - been on steady play in my car and on my MP3 player - it's just so damn catchy, has just the right amount of pop hooks to keep me going. I had heard their most recent album and that prompted me to seek out their first two efforts, you can see how they have progressed to the sound they have now, very distinct if you ask me.

Also picked up their "Live" release from the Starland Ballroom in NJ, nice combo of an audio disc and the accompanying DVD of the show - sounds great in 5:1. Hoping to get out to Providence RI next month for their show at Lupo's.

Looking forward to more from Enchant,

Jind

So the band has been around since the late eighties, but considering they've have never had anything beyond a cult following, split up in 1997 and just started fresh last year, I'd figure quite some people here might not know them... who I'm talking about? Read this.

I gotta say to Ed, Jindaan and others..I have recently gotten into Coheed and Cambria. The singer took me some time but now I LOVE HIM! "Good Apollo" is one of the best albums this year. Catchy..like Michael Jackson and Rush with Cars and Savatage implements..all their albums are tied together in a story about the 2 characters. I have Good Apollo and Keeping Secrets..still need to get their debut. Actually Good Apollo comes out in a special edition tomorrow. I only paid $5 for the one I got so I may end up getting the SE as well.

Also, Claudio has a sideproject called "Prizefighter Inferno" that i found on myspace last night and liked. Different from C&C..more acoustic, but still good none-the-less.

Soundscape fans probably want to be aware (and Enchant fans as I've always believed Enchant fans could get into Soundscape since the 2 bands have a lot in common stylistically; combining heaviness and melodic and prog), Todd Rose, Soundscape's guitarist has a project called "Spectre" that has a new album out soon called "Dreamland" You can hear his guitar solos here. I am looking fwd to that cd coming out soon, the samples sound awesome. Also, Soundscape recorded music for an album in 199 before they disbanded called "Grave New World" that they never had the money to mix and master and then release. They still would like to. It may happen this year. I have heard demo's and they are awesome.

Also, a band who opened for Dredg, "Circa Survive" I just heard this weekend. I missed them opening for Dredg back in May. They are kind of like a combination of The Mars Volta and Coheed I guess. Circa Survive on myspace
I am going to order their debut album "Juturna" which came out this year.

another thing, there is this website I found out about called www.pandora.com which let's you creat your own music playing stations. Their database is not bad, but there are many bands not on there right now (including Enchant). I emailed them about adding Enchant and some others..PoS for one. They let you suggest bands. The cool thing about it is they'll not only play music from the bands the station is setup for, but also bands that have similar characteristics. I would think Enchant would be a good band to be added to on there.

Kyle

Wow - some guya t work just gave me a copy of the Dredg album 0 listened to the first 2 songs and liked but haven't had a chance to listen more....

Definitely will make a point of checking out the rest of the disc now :D

I've been big into Redemption's "A Fullness of Time" thanks to the recommendations on this forum, and also Stream of Passion's disc. Haven't hardly listened to anything other than those albums over the last month in a half.

Sounds like I've got some new recommendations to check out. =D

Hey what a group we are here, between this bunch you can find all the best stuff. Our forum simply kicks ass.

Thanks everyone, I think it is probably time for our favorites of 2005 now hey?

Ze Dan said:
Just discovered Coheed and Cambria… one word to Kyle and Ed : Thank You guys ! It rocks DEFINTELY

yeah, that often is how you find out about stuff (word-of-mouth)

this thread has a lot of good suggestions. Hidria Spacefolk are cool, kinda like Ozric Tentacles..but maybe not as a samey so-to-speak (altho I like Ozrics too).

I am making up my 2005 list, altho there are some cds I just recently found out about (Francesca Gagnon is one) that may not make my list since I may not hear them before the end of the year.

Kyle

ok this may sound a bit obsessed but in hearing WHAT TO SAY today I recognized something in the 1st 3 or 4 bars, the rythm or interval pattern and key it's in sounds a lot like the Coheed and Cambria song APOLLO: THE TELLING TRUTH..specifically Claudio Sanchez's vocal lines when he says the word "Wait"..he says it "wah-ayy-ay-ay-ay-ate...wah-ay-ay-ay-ay-ate"..then "But what I did I do to..to deserve all of you"..then "Jesse"..the word 'Wait"..the way Claudio draws out and sings the word "wait" I could hear at the beginning of WHAT TO SAY easily.

I know I'm a geek..I hear this kind of shit all the time..like the Pain of Salvation HOME keyboard solo and the keyboard solo in OASIS I believe it is off Blueprint :p

Kyle

Kyle

Your not a geek bro, just into the music big time!

You rock!

Soundscape said:
ok this may sound a bit obsessed but in hearing WHAT TO SAY today I recognized something in the 1st 3 or 4 bars, the rythm or interval pattern and key it's in sounds a lot like the Coheed and Cambria song APOLLO: THE TELLING TRUTH..specifically Claudio Sanchez's vocal lines when he says the word "Wait"..he says it "wah-ayy-ay-ay-ay-ate...wah-ay-ay-ay-ay-ate"..then "But what I did I do to..to deserve all of you"..then "Jesse"..the word 'Wait"..the way Claudio draws out and sings the word "wait" I could hear at the beginning of WHAT TO SAY easily.

I know I'm a geek..I hear this kind of shit all the time..like the Pain of Salvation HOME keyboard solo and the keyboard solo in OASIS I believe it is off Blueprint :p

Kyle