New to metal, looking for bands like Tyr

HecticSkeptic

New Metal Member
Sep 10, 2009
Hey,
I am new to this type of music and still learning my way around.

So far I've been really digging Tyr. I really like the battle hymn style. I am looking for bands along those lines; Nordic, sing in foreign languages.

Or anything else that would be a good intro to other genres.

Btw, what genre are they?

Thanks in advance for any help,

HS

People will tell you 'Viking Metal', which is only a false genre that has somehow gained popularity because the bands in that field all have the same lyrical content, yet are so sparse musically, you'd comb the earth twice over scoping them out.

If you've already accustomed yourself to screaming/growling then you might want to check out Enslaved, Borknagar, Amorphis, Ensiferum, Kampfar, Ulver, Turisas, Forefather, and Vintersorg. (all these bands use clean singing vocals in addition to the growls)

If you just want clean vocals, bands like The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Mael Mordha, and Manilla Road might be to your liking.

But most importantly, check out Moonsorrow and Bathory. Both have screaming or grittier vocals, but Bathory pretty much invented the "viking" metal sound and Moonsorrow is just an unbelievably good band who just define epic.

I'm fairly new to Tyr and this style of metal...but Tyr has quickly become one of my favorite bands. I think they are unique, true and really sincere about thier heritage, music, history etc. I will continue to check-out some other band rec.s as well...but Tyr seems to be one of a kind! I think Heri's vocal style and his additional guitar playing does it for me.

I really dislike Viking Metal these days, only a handful of songs were appealing to me a couple of years ago, BUT I happen to own a compilation cd with these artist, so check em out cuz they all sound like Tyr

Adavant
Alestorm (note, Pirate Metal, not Viking Metal :S)
Celesty
Dyrathor
Ethereal Faun
Glittertind
Gwydion
Helfahrt
Knightfall
The Morning After
Obscurity
Orden Ogan
Slartibartfass
Svartby

Check out Abinchova:

a newcomer band, that does badass pagan metal.

Or also check equilibrium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adavant opened up Pagan Knights America 2009 for Tyr, and are quite EPIC! Cheers, my friends.

myspace.com/adavant

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0YfZO37eKI&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: